Does anyone have a guide to the ultimate lazy reef tank? (AIO)

Tangs-A-Lot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I used to buy premixed water when I first started, that's more of a hassle as well as more expensive in the long run. Also, the two LFS near me are not the greatest quality, so I don't really trust their water lol
What about:

IMG_5117.png

FoolishWizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar tank... My goal was basically full automation and as little hands on required for the mundane / tedious maintenance tasks. AWC was a no brainer for me and has been awesome... Only thing left I want to get is a doser for All-For-Reef and will call the build "done"...

AWC does about 2% WC daily... I read that as a suggested figure somewhere online and it stuck with me.

I clean the glass maybe once / twice a week with mag cleaner.
Swap out filter floss later in the day after I clean glass (may decided on other mechanical filtration in future)
Fill up RODI and fresh salt water & drain waste salt water reservoirs about every two weeks.

Say 15 mins of "maintenance" a week and sit back and enjoy.

OP
OP
pygo1

pygo1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar tank... My goal was basically full automation and as little hands on required for the mundane / tedious maintenance tasks. AWC was a no brainer for me and has been awesome... Only thing left I want to get is a doser for All-For-Reef and will call the build "done"...

AWC does about 2% WC daily... I read that as a suggested figure somewhere online and it stuck with me.

I clean the glass maybe once / twice a week with mag cleaner.
Swap out filter floss later in the day after I clean glass (may decided on other mechanical filtration in future)
Fill up RODI and fresh salt water & drain waste salt water reservoirs about every two weeks.

Say 15 mins of "maintenance" a week and sit back and enjoy.
I dig it! Got any pics of your setup? What size is the tank and how big are your AWC containers? Also.. what brand/how did you set up your AWC, it doesn’t seem like there are a ton of options for them. I was considering just using a 2 head doser for it, since I’d only need to do like .6 gallons if I’m doing 2%.

An AFR doser would be great, but also slightly negated by the AWC, no?

Currently, I’m running filter socks instead of floss.. I just have a stockpile of like 10 of them, changed weekly. Once I’m on the last one I just bleach and rinse them all at once. A lil more tedious, but I definitely prefer them over floss
I really want to make a mini filter roller system, but I’m still working out how to print the pieces. Someone makes them and used to give out the files, but he never responded, so I’m on my own lol.

FoolishWizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dig it! Got any pics of your setup? What size is the tank and how big are your AWC containers? Also.. what brand/how did you set up your AWC, it doesn’t seem like there are a ton of options for them. I was considering just using a 2 head doser for it, since I’d only need to do like .6 gallons if I’m doing 2%.

An AFR doser would be great, but also slightly negated by the AWC, no?

Currently, I’m running filter socks instead of floss.. I just have a stockpile of like 10 of them, changed weekly. Once I’m on the last one I just bleach and rinse them all at once. A lil more tedious, but I definitely prefer them over floss
I really want to make a mini filter roller system, but I’m still working out how to print the pieces. Someone makes them and used to give out the files, but he never responded, so I’m on my own lol.
Got tons on pics on my build thread... IM 25g Lagoon.

Using 5 gallon reservoirs for each, 3 Trigger Systems fit perfectly in the stand.

Im using the @AUTOAQUA Smart AWC Duo... This thing is perfect for our size tanks.

Yeah I honestly havent done ANY testing to see if AWC is keeping up with replacing consumed elements... My SPS are not coloring up like they should so Im assuming SOMETHING is lacking.

Im thinking about moving back to the socks, do you have two overflows? Running socks on both sides?

OP
OP
pygo1

pygo1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got tons on pics on my build thread... IM 25g Lagoon.

Using 5 gallon reservoirs for each, 3 Trigger Systems fit perfectly in the stand.

Im using the @AUTOAQUA Smart AWC Duo... This thing is perfect for our size tanks.

Yeah I honestly havent done ANY testing to see if AWC is keeping up with replacing consumed elements... My SPS are not coloring up like they should so Im assuming SOMETHING is lacking.

Im thinking about moving back to the socks, do you have two overflows? Running socks on both sides?
Cool I’ll check it out! Thanks for the info!

I’m a cheapskate, but I might splurge on that AWC, seems worth it! I’ve got an awkward space, but I think I could make some reservoirs out of some spare acrylic that would fit nicely.

Do you use any coral foods/aminos for your sps? I’ve had pretty good results with Red Sea AB+(reef roids is awesome but I haven’t used it in forever due to the nutrient spikes)

For a while I ran socks on both sides, but things got a little TOO clean lol. I have a Media reactor with carbon and a skimmer on the left overflow. Right overflow has a sock and chaeto/caulerpa at the moment. My fuge chamber is a little lack luster, but otherwise, it’s a pretty decent balance of filtration

FoolishWizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool I’ll check it out! Thanks for the info!

I’m a cheapskate, but I might splurge on that AWC, seems worth it! I’ve got an awkward space, but I think I could make some reservoirs out of some spare acrylic that would fit nicely.

Do you use any coral foods/aminos for your sps? I’ve had pretty good results with Red Sea AB+(reef roids is awesome but I haven’t used it in forever due to the nutrient spikes)

For a while I ran socks on both sides, but things got a little TOO clean lol. I have a Media reactor with carbon and a skimmer on the left overflow. Right overflow has a sock and chaeto/caulerpa at the moment. My fuge chamber is a little lack luster, but otherwise, it’s a pretty decent balance of filtration
Yeah, for me the AWC has been well worth the price.

I dose phyto daily but thats it right now... Tank is just about 3 months old so still very young... Def taking note of what works for people.

OP
OP
pygo1

pygo1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, for me the AWC has been well worth the price.

I dose phyto daily but thats it right now... Tank is just about 3 months old so still very young... Def taking note of what works for people.
Welp, I just converted the dresser I use as a stand into a cabinet, so now I have some extra room for my ATO/AWC containers! Lol

Best of luck with your tank! I look forward to seeing how it grows out your build looks awesome

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 116 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back