Does anyone have any experience with A Purple Reef?

ydarr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone!

We currently have life rock in our tank, and my husband is not happy with it. He would like to get actual live rock, to change out a little at a time. I ran across A Purple Reef, and wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with them, or know of anyone that has. Do you guys have a better place to buy live rock online that won't break the bank? Here's a link to their site: http://www.apurplereef.com/

Thanks!

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone!

We currently have life rock in our tank, and my husband is not happy with it. He would like to get actual live rock, to change out a little at a time. I ran across A Purple Reef, and wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with them, or know of anyone that has. Do you guys have a better place to buy live rock online that won't break the bank? Here's a link to their site: http://www.apurplereef.com/

Thanks!

Man I don’t think I’ll be much help but I feel inclined to warn you that buying live rock online can be a headache if you plan to add the live rock to your DT right away.
I’ve read stories of rock coming in that was so full of decaying organics (results of shipping) that it had to cure and cycle again! so the whole tank went threw that(not a good smell for a living room)

Buying dry rock is pretty good bang for buck in cases where you don’t pay for extra water weight saturated in the porous rock work.
My cheapest option- buy used dry rock from the classifieds. bleach it, rinse it then soak it in water and add a dechlorinator
I’ll let it soak for a day with a power head then I’ll pull it out, let it dry and it’s ready

This sounds like way more work then buying rock “ready to go” online but I assure you that in this hobby if you don’t get the hard work out of the way in the beginning its ten times as hard down the line

MrsJeniJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very quickly, with the right lights and time... plus some additives to promote coraline growth - your rocks will become purple.

How old is the tank and rock? Because within a month - 2 max - your rock is super alive and filled with microscopic organisms.

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pukani dry rock from BRS is great. Light and porous lot of rock for your money. Has to be cured though. I used ARC Reef live rock. They have their own area in the ocean where they place rock for coralline algae and other things to grow on it before selling it. For every pound they sell they put ten pounds back to be grown out. Mine was in shipping for two days so I did have a short cycle from a little die off. I wouldn't use rock that has been artificially colored, but that's just my preference. A lot of people don't want to chance getting non reef friendly hitchhikers in live rock. I like being surprised by what I find. Here is a pic of 15 lbs of live rock and 25 lbs of pukani from BRS. Last three pics are Pukani.
Screenshot_20171231-213806.png
Screenshot_20171231-213901.png
Screenshot_20171231-213911.png
Screenshot_20171231-214037.png
Screenshot_20171231-214113.png
Screenshot_20171231-214122.png

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan of dyed "live rock", I prefer to be patient and wait on real coraline algae.

I used a combination of dry rock from Reef Cleaners and maricultured live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater (see saltyfilmfolks link above. Yes I had a few unwanted hitch hikers (mainly gorilla crabs) but got some really cool ones too (urchins, cup corals, porcelain crab, sponges)

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salty Bottom Reef Co. Has good Live Rock, just keep in mind this rock is from South Florida and it's more common to get a Mantis Hitchhiker. I have a small Mantis I received from my Live Rock and I keep him happy by target feeding him like I feed my corals.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pukani dry rock from BRS is great. Light and porous lot of rock for your money. Has to be cured though. I used ARC Reef live rock. They have their own area in the ocean where they place rock for coralline algae and other things to grow on it before selling it. For every pound they sell they put ten pounds back to be grown out. Mine was in shipping for two days so I did have a short cycle from a little die off. I wouldn't use rock that has been artificially colored, but that's just my preference. A lot of people don't want to chance getting non reef friendly hitchhikers in live rock. I like being surprised by what I find. Here is a pic of 15 lbs of live rock and 25 lbs of pukani from BRS. Last three pics are Pukani.
Screenshot_20171231-213806.png
Screenshot_20171231-213901.png
Screenshot_20171231-213911.png
Screenshot_20171231-214037.png
Screenshot_20171231-214113.png
Screenshot_20171231-214122.png
+1

Back