Does anyone have just fish in their tank?

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a 65 gallon. Mostly FO. Then added a 140 FO. Darn thing is still to small! I do have a 40 coral only for when I just have to have a coral. I am looking at getting a larger tank. Now where can I move my husband's television to? Takes up valuable wall space and must go. I don't think he will notice if his television has only one channel! ;Shamefullyembarrased

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding soon- Tank cycling

Planned:
Harlequin Tusk
Niger trigger
emperor angel
majestic angel
trio of moorish idol or heniocus butterly
Trio of pyramid butterfly

No tangs as my 660g loaded with tangs
That’s awesome! Will be a beautiful tank!!! We have the emperor, Majestic and Niger in our fo also. I lov the angels. Can’t wait to see your tank when it’s done!!

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Her are a few shots of my 650 FO!

D39453E8-E90D-44E7-BC71-1EB1651B2A5F.jpeg 04854EC7-F797-45DA-BDAA-3C1C02CA8CEF.jpeg D5E8191C-51B2-4C58-9B8A-44F799F531EC.jpeg 2E931405-2E42-42CF-A7BA-2B03656AE1AD.jpeg 4261701B-2AD9-47F8-A176-87A7251A1E37.jpeg 863D50B8-41D0-469C-B0E0-7BE7B9B26425.jpeg
That’s an awesome tank!! Makes my 300g, 8’ look so small. We only have 14 fish.. how many fish in this tank???

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been in hobby for decades on and off. Down time usually as a result of working abroad. Every time returning to the hobby with a larger tank. Currently have a 625g FOWLR with mostly tangs and angels. Although I do plan to experiment with some low maintenance corals and a RBTA or 2 in the future, I’ve always enjoyed replicating a little part of the ocean with some of the fish seen while diving. Trying to keep Fish healthy and thriving is challenging enough...at least for me. I do however very much admire and enjoy seeing other’s reef aquariums....however Its all about the fish for me!

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many fish did you stock in the 500gal fish only? We have a 300gal, 8’ long and thin. We have 14 large fish in ours and think it might be crowded but doesn’t look like hardly any compared to your pictures.
I don't know the number of fish....but it really depends on the sizes more so than the numbers. In most of the photos I waited for many to congregate for the pic so it may appear more crowded than it actually was. The photos were taken shortly after the tank was stocked. Many of those angels (Queen, Majestic, Imperator, Blue Face, Blue Ring), triggers (Clown, Blue-face, Huma) and tangs (Lipstick, Hippo, Sailfin, Vlamingi) grew quite a bit....and still there was essentially no aggression. You can't see it in the photos, but the rockwork was not up against the back of the tank so the fish could swim back there and throughout much of the rockwork. I would give anything to have that Totoka live rock again!!

600 lbs rock; fiberglass tank with rounded back corners, 44" deep x 3' wide x about 6.5'L. When the tank was set up in 1994, I just had four 6' VHO T12's. I later added four 400W halides in large Lumen Brite reflectors when I got more serious with SPS.

A 25 yr old hippo and tomato clown were amongst all the fish I lost because of Sandy. Without a doubt, my most devastating aquarium calamity!! (I could list a bunch more too over my 50+ years of aquarium-keeping!)

Here's one more pic showing a Harlequin tusk:
Harlequin.jpg

bigd7177

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 fish onlys a one is a 125 the other is a 220 I also have a 125 reef and a 72 bow front anemone tank I love coral but I can’t live without my angels and groupers etc best of both worlds without having to choose!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0507.MOV
    72.9 MB

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know the number of fish....but it really depends on the sizes more so than the numbers. In most of the photos I waited for many to congregate for the pic so it may appear more crowded than it actually was. The photos were taken shortly after the tank was stocked. Many of those angels (Queen, Majestic, Imperator, Blue Face, Blue Ring), triggers (Clown, Blue-face, Huma) and tangs (Lipstick, Hippo, Sailfin, Vlamingi) grew quite a bit....and still there was essentially no aggression. You can't see it in the photos, but the rockwork was not up against the back of the tank so the fish could swim back there and throughout much of the rockwork. I would give anything to have that Totoka live rock again!!

600 lbs rock; fiberglass tank with rounded back corners, 44" deep x 3' wide x about 6.5'L. When the tank was set up in 1994, I just had four 6' VHO T12's. I later added four 400W halides in large Lumen Brite reflectors when I got more serious with SPS.

A 25 yr old hippo and tomato clown were amongst all the fish I lost because of Sandy. Without a doubt, my most devastating aquarium calamity!! (I could list a bunch more too over my 50+ years of aquarium-keeping!)

Here's one more pic showing a Harlequin tusk:
Harlequin.jpg
What a beautiful tank!!’ Thanks for sharing!

CC_N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those in the hobby for a long time (like my 50+ years), we knew fish-only for the first many years. Then, when we learned how to keep corals, we stopped collecting all the "non-reef safe" fish. I went many years without those fish until Hurricane Sandy wiped out my 500 gal reef tank (mostly SPS). That tank sat empty for a year until I got over the shock and figured out how to clean it. But, anticipating the sale of my house in a few years, I restocked it with all those "reef un-safe" fish that I hadn't had in years! Wow, was that nice to have those fish again! I then realized how much I missed them! BUT... all those fish in a barren tank just made me think of a dead reef, much like I feel when I go diving now. I'm now back to my SPS. Here are some photos of my former 500 gal fish-only tank:

full best.jpg

first 1.jpg

full.jpg

first 1.jpg

BF, Imp good.jpg

BF, Clown trig, Imp.jpg

Blue ring .jpg

1 .jpg

hen. huma.jpg

I know somebody will ask why I didn't have a generator....so I will mention that in 29 yrs, I never lost power more than an hour. I lived on a main street, across from a Rescue Squad, so my street was always first to get power restored. But with Sandy, I was out for 3 days. I did have 2 gasoline generators but couldn't get them running. (They were old and I foolishly didn't take good care of them). After Sandy, I bought a natural gas generator...(then moved 2 yrs later!).
What’s the tank dimension ?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back