1<2 US Gallon livestock options? (Fish/Inverts)

Polymate3D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

So I know Pico's are not the most popular here, but I am interested in hearing what other people have placed in pico aquariums / reefs around the 1 to 2 US gallon size.

I'm working on some circuit stuff to do heating, cooling etc on my main aquarium, and using a small aquarium as a test for this system. I want to hear what fish / inverts people have tried and what success / failures there have been.

I also at one stage had a Yellow Goby who I unfortunately lost in the end but seemed to love being in his only tiny aquarium (1 Gallon). He got white spot whilst in my Fluval Evo and kept swimming into the filtration section. Moved him to a make shift aquarium (18cm cube) for 4 weeks. Got all better and then went back into the main tank. This happened another 2 times before he passed. I didn't want to keep him in a small aquarium due to concerns on water quality. Now I'm thinking it would of been better to off set the small aquarium up for him permanently.

I also have a yellow tail damsel who stays to 2 small rocks permanently, and he is only about 3cm currently, so he also seems to like his own little place.

So who has tried fish in a small Pico, how long for, and how did they seem?

- Paul

OP
OP
Polymate3D

Polymate3D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, just me, I would not put anything, perhaps a snail or two, but nothing else. Its just too small, even for a hermit crab.
Thanks for the input and taking the time to reply!

I was very much the same until the yellow goby. Made. Rock with lots of nooks and crannies and he seemed so relaxed compared being in the Evo.

Very much appreciate the feedback!

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ~2g pico (8" cube" and so far I've kept it just corals and a few snails and a hermit. Just from a practical standpoint, I don't want to add anything that needs to be fed since nutrients and waste would build up so quickly in such a small volume.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 63 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back