Does anyone have just fish in their tank?

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep seeing all these small cube aquariums that can’t hold many fish. Seems like they are mainly for corals. Just wondering if people still have just fish in their tanks. Its what I would like to do. Seems less complicated.

ReefzJR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep seeing all these small cube aquariums that can’t hold many fish. Seems like they are mainly for corals. Just wondering if people still have just fish in their tanks. Its what I would like to do. Seems less complicated.
My last SW tank was mostly fish. I had live rock and about 5 fish a brittle star and a sea cucumber in a 55g. I did want to do coral and added some mushrooms but I was young and broke.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 125 is fish with CUC and 1 toadstool leather coral.
Don't get me wrong corals are beautiful, but I just want to have fish and nems, maybe a couple of coral, but to me the fish are beautiful enough. Less headache too, don't have to keep dosing this and that.

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had fish only tanks in the past. A bit easier to care for generally, and lots of fun.

Some of the more beautiful and interesting fish need to be kept without coral because they will eat them or otherwise provoke them.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 fish only with some clove polyps and GSP, love having angels and butterfly’s without hoping they don’t eat my acans(which they have before lol)

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish only for me. I tried corals in the past but failed. I have one (1) hammer coral now, it’s doing great, but just that one (water changes only).

20g Nuvo with 2 fish.

Just upgraded to a 250g. It will be fish only.

Though I did buy good lights to add corals if I wanted. Maybe a few easier ones (mushrooms, Star polys and more hammers maybe).

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those in the hobby for a long time (like my 50+ years), we knew fish-only for the first many years. Then, when we learned how to keep corals, we stopped collecting all the "non-reef safe" fish. I went many years without those fish until Hurricane Sandy wiped out my 500 gal reef tank (mostly SPS). That tank sat empty for a year until I got over the shock and figured out how to clean it. But, anticipating the sale of my house in a few years, I restocked it with all those "reef un-safe" fish that I hadn't had in years! Wow, was that nice to have those fish again! I then realized how much I missed them! BUT... all those fish in a barren tank just made me think of a dead reef, much like I feel when I go diving now. I'm now back to my SPS. Here are some photos of my former 500 gal fish-only tank:

full best.jpg

first 1.jpg

full.jpg

first 1.jpg

BF, Imp good.jpg

BF, Clown trig, Imp.jpg

Blue ring .jpg

1 .jpg

hen. huma.jpg

I know somebody will ask why I didn't have a generator....so I will mention that in 29 yrs, I never lost power more than an hour. I lived on a main street, across from a Rescue Squad, so my street was always first to get power restored. But with Sandy, I was out for 3 days. I did have 2 gasoline generators but couldn't get them running. (They were old and I foolishly didn't take good care of them). After Sandy, I bought a natural gas generator...(then moved 2 yrs later!).

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go big. You can’t afford now.....wait, save, plan. You will always want something bigger when you are done. A 60-90 gallon would give you a lot more options. Especially fish only.
I agree....In fact I would highly recommend a 4' tank. You can't put much in a cube....I have one now that I am using as an experimental tank for LED's and will eventually become an SPS Q-tank. And, you will probably have fewer problems with a larger tank because of better stability). I feel guilty having these 3 tangs in this tank (Yellow, Kole, Hippo).....but hopefully it won't be for too long a time:
tank 8.9.20.jpg

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those in the hobby for a long time (like my 50+ years), we knew fish-only for the first many years. Then, when we learned how to keep corals, we stopped collecting all the "non-reef safe" fish. I went many years without those fish until Hurricane Sandy wiped out my 500 gal reef tank (mostly SPS). That tank sat empty for a year until I got over the shock and figured out how to clean it. But, anticipating the sale of my house in a few years, I restocked it with all those "reef un-safe" fish that I hadn't had in years! Wow, was that nice to have those fish again! I then realized how much I missed them! BUT... all those fish in a barren tank just made me think of a dead reef, much like I feel when I go diving now. I'm now back to my SPS. Here are some photos of my former 500 gal fish-only tank:

full best.jpg

first 1.jpg

full.jpg

first 1.jpg

BF, Imp good.jpg

BF, Clown trig, Imp.jpg

Blue ring .jpg

1 .jpg

hen. huma.jpg

I know somebody will ask why I didn't have a generator....so I will mention that in 29 yrs, I never lost power more than an hour. I lived on a main street, across from a Rescue Squad, so my street was always first to get power restored. But with Sandy, I was out for 3 days. I did have 2 gasoline generators but couldn't get them running. (They were old and I foolishly didn't take good care of them). After Sandy, I bought a natural gas generator...(then moved 2 yrs later!).
How many fish did you stock in the 500gal fish only? We have a 300gal, 8’ long and thin. We have 14 large fish in ours and think it might be crowded but doesn’t look like hardly any compared to your pictures.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just set up a 135g oceanic for this purpose.

@Feet4Fish

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have.an 8’ 300 gal fish only tank. I wanted more Fish that weren’t reef safe so we built a separate tank for them. I do have some not so reef safe fish in the reef too. In the fish only we have Sohal, naso, vlamingi, unicorn and scopa tangs, Koran, emperor and majestic angels, foxface, black pyramid butterfly, Niger and Picasso triggers, and dog and porcupine puffers. The tank is relatively peaceful and surprisingly the Sohal is amazing and calm. The Koran is the boss of the tank. Fish only is fun and easy!!

EC00C2A5-87F6-4776-B970-E4B746943A93.jpeg 62056A54-9230-4AFF-A519-959CD8651C5C.jpeg 6E5543FF-EAFB-41C2-A9B8-E643EB2888DD.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do you already have your fish? Or where do you plan to get yours for this new tank?
Adding soon- Tank cycling

Planned:
Harlequin Tusk
Niger trigger
emperor angel
majestic angel
trio of moorish idol or heniocus butterly
Trio of pyramid butterfly

No tangs as my 660g loaded with tangs

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 82.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back