Does anyone know what this is? Shrimp of some kind?

Tinaqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fairly new set up - been running about 4 weeks. I know a lot of people will probably jump all over me for this, but my system is composed of all live rock and misc algae/seaweed I have directly collected from the ocean. I just moved to SoCal and always wanted to as a hobby establish my own tank from things I could find. The only fish I have in there just for a little color are a few damsels. Before you offer advice about where to collect and how far off shore etc etc... please don't be a troll about it. This is a hobby for me. Most of your tanks on this forum are probably 10000x better than mine but it's just for fun. And I only collect in open collection water areas that have no restrictions. I am careful to not collect anything protected.

Anyway, this leads to my question.

I have a few anemones (I think they are aggregating anemones) that were on a piece of live rock I brought home. Being from SoCal I thought the water temps were probably too cold for the anemones to thrive in the tank (I maintain at 71-72). Apparently they are thriving and even (spawning and cloning) babies. I found this little anemone clinging to the side of the tank and too my surprise had caught and was slowly eating, tail first, this little stick bug looking creature. At first I thought it might be a mantis shrimp fry but after looking at pictures of mantis shrimp fry I realize I am way off in my assessment. Then upon further inspection of the tank I have found a few more just chilling on the rocks. They are very small, just a few milometers big, not even a centimeter.

Does anyone have any idea what these are and if so are they harmless or do they become a nuisance if and when they grow larger?

Thanks! FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_8378.JPG FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_8378.JPG 18157341_10104469837531760_5985491381841651544_n.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an anemone swallowed a skeleton shrimp or other type crustacean. While I can not confirm the anemones ID's I am confident that pest anemones (possibly the one the glass) can be incidentally collected from your local waters.

Welcome to R2R. :)

OP
OP
Tinaqua

Tinaqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Tahoe61! I made sure they aren't Aiptasia anemones but who knows! I might have to scrap all my live rock eventually because I might have all kinds of crazy critters that aren't good. Before I buy anything from the store such as corals or fiji rock I would wipe the tank and start over anyway.

Thanks!!!

OP
OP
Tinaqua

Tinaqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an anemone swallowed a skeleton shrimp or other type crustacean. While I can not confirm the anemones ID's I am confident that pest anemones (possibly the one the glass) can be incidentally collected from your local waters.

Welcome to R2R. :)

Oh my gosh! I just looked up skeleton shrimp and that is exactly what it is! Thanks so much. Looks like they are pretty harmless. :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back