Does anyone manual dose these days?

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I’ve been waiting for a good deal on Neptune Apex + Trident + Dos , but meanwhile I have been dosing manually daily. Anyone else manually keep their parameters in check daily ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I still do with a couple of my tanks
One is fish only and the other much easier for me to manually dose it

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual dosing is fine if you can keep up with it daily, I travel so I have automated about everything with our tank. Like anything with reefing, can you keep consistency? if the answer is yes manual is just fine

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I don’t mind doing manual but like mentioned when you have that busy day at work and get home the quick 2 minutes can be just another added 2 minutes to your 16 hour day.

I wish there was a reliable dosing system than the apex dos

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t really see any benefits to dosing manually when there’s now tech that ca do it far better and more reliable than any of us could.
For example I wouldn’t be comfortable with dumping in a whole days consumption of alk in at once and I hardly think I could spread it out over 12 or so doses that my dozer does.

That being said certain elements/additives just aren’t practical to automate so there’s still a place for manual dosing in that sense.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Dveryd
Can’t really see any benefits to dosing manually when there’s now tech that ca do it far better and more reliable than any of us could.
For example I wouldn’t be comfortable with dumping in a whole days consumption of alk in at once and I hardly think I could spread it out over 12 or so doses that my dozer does.

That being said certain elements/additives just aren’t practical to automate so there’s still a place for manual dosing in that sense.
Every day Dkh drops 1 so I’m dosing at all once to bring it back.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I manualy dose 2 part in my 45 frag system as demand is still low.
I run a carx with no controller or ph probe on my 120.
I dose trace by hand every morning in both.
Also dose a small amount of carbon in the morning daily in my 120 and a small amount of aminos.
This keeps me in tune with my tank.
I am home every day and do not travel.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I manually dosed until the Alk and Cal consumption of the tank got high enough that I felt dosing so much at once was not ideal for the corals. I'm currently auto-dosing over 200 ml each of BRS soda ash and calcium chloride solutions daily in my packed 125 through a Bubble Magus doser. It's not ideal, but has been very reliable for about 2 1/2 years. Fingers crossed.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t mind doing manual but like mentioned when you have that busy day at work and get home the quick 2 minutes can be just another added 2 minutes to your 16 hour day.

I wish there was a reliable dosing system than the apex dos
I use the Jebao dp-4, cost me about 80 cdn.
Running problem free for 4 years now.
I really wanted the stability....I fill 4 glass jars once a month.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Dang, that’s quite a big jump in dkh. Wouldn’t be comfortable with that if I could do it in another way.
It is?

acropora and sps don’t mind it, growing 3” now .

I just want to be able to go out of town one of these weekends without worrying about 2 dkh drops or 60 CA

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use polyp lab one and can't automate dosing with it if I wanted to (requires shaking before use). Also being acetate with the alkalinity being processed over time by bacteria timing isn't nearly as significant as 2 part where what you put in is what's added right then and there. I have several reasons for manual dosing although the biggest reason is the size of my tanks. I wouldn't try to manual dose a 150g full of acros.
Secondary reasons for not automating dosing are:
1. dosing pumps have to be monitored, calibrated, unclogged occasionally. I'm more reliable
2. The method I use is only part, it really takes no time. I can get up from the **** tube or gazing at long enough to dose. FEEDING the fish everyday takes significantly more time.
3. Don't want to add the expense and complexity to small tanks. With ATO and media reactor I already have minimal space for more stuff.
4. For me the acetate carbon doses perfectly which is the main reason I like it better than 2 part. I'm getting two (dosing) for one. Don't have to calculate how much (vodka, vinegar etc), keeps the glass clean, no side effects (cyano).
This all predicted on tank size.

Josh@BVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my opinion you will do more harm then good when dosing manually unless you are disciplined and consistent with it. coral dont like change even if for the better. if you start dosing manually make sure you continue to do so.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 146 88.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back