Does Anyone Sell Marine Ostracods?

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, I have become interested in obtaining marine Ostracods to add to my build’s biodiversity (tropical planted marine). Is there a store/hobbyist I can source these from or is my endeavor a lost cause?

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, I have become interested in obtaining marine Ostracods to add to my build’s biodiversity (tropical planted marine). Is there a store/hobbyist I can source these from or is my endeavor a lost cause?
Easiest way to get Ostracods is to add a little NSW to the tank. That's how I got mine. They tend not to last long term from my experience. Not like pods. Mine had a population boom, died back then slowly disappeared over a few months and I dose several strains of live phyto. There's so many different species, some with specific diets, that it's hard to judge care. Some can also be pests. They're very difficult to i.d. I'm not aware of any vendors that sell them. Mine seemed to target algae so you may not want them in a planted tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WheatToast

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easiest way to get Ostracods is to add a little NSW to the tank. That's how I got mine. They tend not to last long term from my experience. Not like pods. Mine had a population boom, died back then slowly disappeared over a few months and I dose several strains of live phyto. There's so many different species, some with specific diets, that it's hard to judge care. Some can also be pests. They're very difficult to i.d. I'm not aware of any vendors that sell them. Mine seemed to target algae so you may not want them in a planted tank.
The problem with that is the fact I live in California (frigid waters, collection restrictions on anything but algae). Nonetheless, this was a great read! Thank you!

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I get a batch going again, I'll let you know. If you really want to give them a try I'd be willing to fill a few specimen cups and mail them out. (at your expense of course. Lol) They'd be a random species from Florida.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever find what you were looking for in Ostracods? I have them thriving in my FOWLR right now and they have been going strong ever since I got my tank from a co-worker a year ago. If you are interested in paying shipping, I'd gladly send some samples to see if you can start a culture.

Mine probably came in with live sand, but they are thriving right along with my copepods in my 75-gallon FOWLR (with no predators). I got the established tank from a co-worker over a year ago and the ostracods have been thriving since the beginning. I run the tank "dirty" at higher nutrient levels and allow some hair algae and cyanobacteria to grow at levels most would probably consider terrifying, so this may be helping keep them around. I have no idea what species mine are, but definitely ostracods. They do consume algae and cyanobacteria and love it when I have not cleaned the surface glass for a while!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back