Does Carbon have a negative effect on AngelFish?

HildebrandRarity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning Everyone, Has anyone had experience with how carbon effects angelfish? Have heard mixed reviews but most I have seen say carbon can cause Lateral Line disease. Reason for my asking is my angel looks perfect when I got him and after a few weeks he had Lymphocystis, which he has now recovered after feeding him healthy with mysis and spirulina supplement. He then seemed to get scars around his face which I assume is LLD. Thinking that the cause may be the carbon what do you guys think?

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon dust seems associated with lateral line disease so assuming that it is rinsed properly before use and run in a reactor or tightly packed media bag to prevent tumbling It should be safe to use.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GAC is an alleged cause of HLLE, and carbon particles have been found in HLLE lesions.
There are other alleged causes of HLLE as well, including nonspecific stress, bad diet, stray electrical current, etc.
It's probably best to use the highest quality carbon, like ROX 0.8, which has little dust to begin with.
And then rinse it before use anyway, and put it in a bag or reactor, as already mentioned.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my angel for 12+ years and have been running carbon continuously the entire time. Neither it, nor any of my other fish have ever exhibited any signs of HLLE.

Personally, I'd look to other causes.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added dusty polyp lab carbon, and my scopas tang developed hlle the next day.

My emperor angel got lympcytis from using red sea salt, which has actual bacteria from the sea in it. But it could have been from carbon added two weeks before.

There was a study done where they proved bituous carbon gave tangs hlle.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back