Does carbon remove amino acids?

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve thought of running carbon in my 5g nano but I’ve been reading that it will strip out my dosed amino acids and other minerals needed in the water column

y’all have any thoughts on this?

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes carbon should adsorb amino acids imo.

What would make you believe that?

I don't think dosed amino acids do much besides break down and add some organic matter. So, GAC could remove the end result. However, it's unlikely that GAC will directly adsorb dosed amino acids into a reef aquarium. In fact, it seems GAC is sometimes used to purify amino acids.

Vamsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate if anyone could add to the discussion? I wondering if I should pull out my carbon when dosing amino acids.

Thank you.
Carbon will remove some of the stuff you have dosed. That's the nature of carbon. But again it will remove 100% of the amino over a period of time(DEBATABLE). There are a lot of factors in play, some of the amino will be absorbed by the corals, some of the amino will be disintegrated, and some will be absorbed by algae and other organisms in your tank. I would not worry about it, if your corals are responding, I would just dose it. Just my IMHO.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would make you believe that?

I don't think dosed amino acids do much besides break down and add some organic matter. So, GAC could remove the end result. However, it's unlikely that GAC will directly adsorb dosed amino acids into a reef aquarium. In fact, it seems GAC is sometimes used to purify amino acids.
It depends on the pore size of the carbon that dictates what it removes.

Back