Does Carbon Remove Useful Things?

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GAC "adsorbs" a lot of different things at different rates (pedantic, but absorbtion incorporates the material, adsorption builds it up on the surface). I believe that metals don't adsorb as well to GAC as organic compounds, but that iodine does. Here's a table i googled describing some of the things that GAC does or doesn't adsorb well https://www.sentryair.com/activated-carbon-adsorption.htm

However, i dont think theres much concern of taking out good things too much. Most people have very successful reefs with GAC!

Last edited:

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sun light will make algae grow rapidly and like crazy.
In case, why don't they do it, grow like crazy? In a closed system it would ensure that nutrients cannot accumulate. In a closed system, growth is the most important regulator, it can be easily harvested and managed.
Why is safely stored and usable nitrogen in the form of nitrate not used up in a well-lit aquarium? The constant removal of some of the dissolved organic substances creates an imbalance between the availability of inorganic compounds and other nutrients necessary for balanced growth and the removal of all nutrients by sunlight-driven growth is therefore made impossible. Natural denitrification is nothing more than anaerobic mineralization of organic waste. In normal circumstances, +- 15% (heterotrophic + autotrophic) of the nitrogen is exported by natural denitrification and there should be a shortage of usable nitrogen, a growth-regulating factor. Nitrogen that accumulates is not the growth regulating factor.

The use of GAC removes organic matter, but it does so very selectively and does not remove inorganic nitrogen and phosphorus compounds, resulting in disruptive growth when changes in the removal pattern occur. In a sense, the same can be said of a skimmer. Management of the nutrient availability starts with what is added, the C/N ratio of food.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to find out if activated carbon will remove phytoplankton. Anyone know? Cannot find any info about that.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GAC "adsorbs" a lot of different things at different rates (pedantic, but absorbtion incorporates the material, adsorption builds it up on the surface). I believe that metals don't adsorb as well to GAC as organic compounds, but that iodine does. Here's a table i googled describing some of the things that GAC does or doesn't adsorb well https://www.sentryair.com/activated-carbon-adsorption.htm

However, i dont think theres much concern of taking out good things too much. Most people have very successful reefs with GAC!

That link you posted is for gas absorption. Iodine as I2 gas certainly absorbs on GAC. In seawater, iodine is present as iodide and iodate, and I do not believe it adsorbs well on GAC, though I have not seen anyone test it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to find out if activated carbon will remove phytoplankton. Anyone know? Cannot find any info about that.

No, it won’t bind organisms except those such as benthic bacteria that want to grow on it.

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That link you posted is for gas absorption. Iodine as I2 gas certainly absorbs on GAC. In seawater, iodine is present as iodide and iodate, and I do not believe it adsorbs well on GAC, though I have not seen anyone test it.

Iodide still adsorbs pretty well in solution! Check figure 1 and 11 of this paper that shows iodine removal of ~25% w/w iodine/adsorbant (acetic acid solution) and even better adsorption of iodide in water!

this other paper shows similar results and also the pH dependence of adsorption (lower pH, around 5, is significantly higher adsorption).

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iodide still adsorbs pretty well in solution! Check figure 1 of this paper that shows iodide removal of ~25% w/w iodide/adsorbant!

this other paper shows similar results and also the pH dependence of adsorption (lower pH, around 5, is significantly higher adsorption).

I do not believe that either paper shows or even suggests that significant iodide or iodate will bind to GAC from seawater at the iodine concentrations found in seawater. That is the data that has not, as far as I know, been shown. These papers test very different things.

The first paper is totally useless in our context. It is looking at I2 and HI absorption, which are not the forms present in seawater. There also are no competing ions present in any of the test fluids.

"In a static test,20 mL of acetic acid containing 800 ppm I2 and 10-200 mg of adsorbent were equilibrated in a flask for 24 h at room temperature. After filtration, the amount of iodine removed from filtrate was determined from the decreasein the intensity of 474-nm ultraviolet (UV) absorbance of the solution."

The second paper uses a low ionic strength fluid, which means it has very few competing ions to the iodide for charged binding sites on the GAC. The ion concentration is:

". The ionic strength ranged between 0.05 and 0.09 M as NaCl."

Seawater has an ion concentration a factor of ten higher, meaning 10x more competition. More importantly, it also contains ions with multiple charged ions (such as sulfate) which can bind more strongly to charged surfaces than single charged ions such as chloride or iodide, as it known with ion exchange resins:

"This works because the anion resin has more affinity for the nitrate or sulphate ion than for the chloride ion, the order of affinity being: SO4-- > NO3– > Cl– > HCO3– > OH– > F–"

The second paper also tests only at what would be very high iodine concentrations (compared to seawater). The lowest test point for normal GAC at pH 8 on Figure 2 is about 2 uM, or 252 ug/L or 0.3 ppm. That's 5 times higher than the iodide concentration in normal seawater.
The binding is also so low that the whole purpose of the paper is to get better binding using GAC which has silver bound to it, which they showed.
Thus, the second paper uses a higher iodide concentration in a fluid with less ionic competition to test binding. Consequently, I do not think it tells us anything about what would happen in a reef tank.

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not believe that either paper shows or even suggests that significant iodide or iodate will bind to GAC from seawater at the iodine concentrations found in seawater. That is the data that has not, as far as I know, been shown. These papers test very different things.

The first paper is totally useless in our context. It is looking at I2 and HI absorption, which are not the forms present in seawater. There also are no competing ions present in any of the test fluids.

"In a static test,20 mL of acetic acid containing 800 ppm I2 and 10-200 mg of adsorbent were equilibrated in a flask for 24 h at room temperature. After filtration, the amount of iodine removed from filtrate was determined from the decreasein the intensity of 474-nm ultraviolet (UV) absorbance of the solution."

The second paper uses a low ionic strength fluid, which means it has very few competing ions to the iodide for charged binding sites on the GAC. The ion concentration is:

". The ionic strength ranged between 0.05 and 0.09 M as NaCl."

Seawater has an ion concentration a factor of ten higher, meaning 10x more competition. More importantly, it also contains ions with multiple charged ions (such as sulfate) which can bind more strongly to charged surfaces than single charged ions such as chloride or iodide, as it known with ion exchange resins:

"This works because the anion resin has more affinity for the nitrate or sulphate ion than for the chloride ion, the order of affinity being: SO4-- > NO3– > Cl– > HCO3– > OH– > F–"

The second paper also tests only at what would be very high iodine concentrations (compared to seawater). The lowest test point for normal GAC at pH 8 on Figure 2 is about 2 uM, or 252 ug/L or 0.3 ppm. That's 5 times higher than the iodide concentration in normal seawater.
The binding is also so low that the whole purpose of the paper is to get better binding using GAC which has silver bound to it, which they showed.
Thus, the second paper uses a higher iodide concentration in a fluid with less ionic competition to test binding. Consequently, I do not think it tells us anything about what would happen in a reef tank.
I dont want to die on a hill that wasn't the point of my first post lol, so I'll reiterate that my position is in agreement with you that this isn't a major concern for saltwater tanks!

But GAC "can" and "does" adsorb various "good" things (though not at appreciable levels in our reef tanks).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont want to die on a hill that wasn't the point of my first post lol, so I'll reiterate that my position is in agreement with you that this isn't a major concern for saltwater tanks!

But GAC "can" and "does" adsorb various "good" things (though not at appreciable levels in our reef tanks).

I wish we had more real world data, I would not be surprised if GAC exports an important amount of trace elements that themselves bind to organics, but how significant that is can only be tested with real tank water, not simulated fluids.

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish we had more real world data, I would not be surprised if GAC exports an important amount of trace elements that themselves bind to organics, but how significant that is can only be tested with real tank water, not simulated fluids.
Definitely!! Could be an interesting experiment for the research forum!

I.e. measure trace elements in prepared saltwater, then pass it over varying amounts of GAC, and measure afterwards! The difficulty will be in the accuracy/precision of home test kits along with the hyper params of contact time/flow/equilibration with the GAC.

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely!! Could be an interesting experiment for the research forum!

I.e. measure trace elements in prepared saltwater, then pass it over varying amounts of GAC, and measure afterwards! The difficulty will be in the accuracy/precision of home test kits along with the hyper params of contact time/flow/equilibration with the GAC.
More info about GAC. Feldman has conducted and published research regarding the use of GAC in seawater aquariums. Links to his articles are available as references. Ken S. Feldman, Lauren F. Vernese, Karl T. Mueller, Kelly M. Maers Chemistry Department, The Pennsylvania State University ( 2008)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More info about GAC. Feldman has conducted and published research regarding the use of GAC in seawater aquariums. Links to his articles are available as references. Ken S. Feldman, Lauren F. Vernese, Karl T. Mueller, Kelly M. Maers Chemistry Department, The Pennsylvania State University ( 2008)

Unfortunately, I don't believe any of Ken's article detail what is removed by GAC, except very broad categories such as total organic carbon.

For example:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back