Does chaeto still consume nutrients If you don't harvest?

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a pound of chaeto from ORA. If they used Algae Barns method for measure they would have to call it five pounds. Sidebar, I've made two very expensive and disappointing purchases from Algae barn. They grossly overestimate the size of their chaeto balls. Back to the topic, I was pleasantly surprised by the massive amount of chaeto I got from ORA listed as one pound. I was expecting a third of what I actually got. I dropped it into my Algae Reactor which made it 80% full. That made me wonder, is the primary nutrient uptake vehicle of the chaeto from growth or is there a decent amount of uptake from normal photosynthesis tied to sustaining the chaeto? So, if it runs out of space to grow, will it still take up nutrients? I plan on harvesting a 1/3 of the chaeto at a time but I was just wondering.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Chaeto uses the Nitrate and Phosphate for growth and cellular maintenance but primarily for growth. You don't have to harvest but once the chamber is filled and the Chaeto can't grow you will be limiting your filtration capacity

What he said :p

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Chaeto uses the Nitrate and Phosphate for growth and cellular maintenance but primarily for growth. You don't have to harvest but once the chamber is filled and the Chaeto can't grow you will be limiting your filtration capacity
In addition, you will cause the cheato to become very dense, allow it to trap detritus and then possibly have it melt and release absorbed nutrients back into the water.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just picked up a pound of chaeto from ORA. If they used Algae Barns method for measure they would have to call it five pounds. Sidebar, I've made two very expensive and disappointing purchases from Algae barn. They grossly overestimate the size of their chaeto balls. Back to the topic, I was pleasantly surprised by the massive amount of chaeto I got from ORA listed as one pound. I was expecting a third of what I actually got. I dropped it into my Algae Reactor which made it 80% full. That made me wonder, is the primary nutrient uptake vehicle of the chaeto from growth or is there a decent amount of uptake from normal photosynthesis tied to sustaining the chaeto? So, if it runs out of space to grow, will it still take up nutrients? I plan on harvesting a 1/3 of the chaeto at a time but I was just wondering.
We are sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your orders from us. Would you mind sending us your order number an email so we can look into it. (Also sending you a DM)

-Raven

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You bought from ORA direct. They are in my backyard but tell me to go through the LFS.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 27.1%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back