Does Dosing Kalk Raise Your Alk as well as Calcium?

JVS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose Kalk into my 40 gallon aquarium using my auto top off. I put 1/2 tsp per gallon of RODI water. I use this and 6 gallon water changes weekly to keep my tank stable. My Calcium is 505 and my Alk is 6. Now I don't test often, maybe once a month or every other month but whenever I test these are my results. So I tested today and it was the same again, now should I just keep these parameters meaning my Alk or should I try and raise it by adding more Kalk

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's usually much easier to make adjustments with two part vs. changing kalk amount. I would probably just stop kalk for a little while to let calcium fall on its own, then slowly raise alk with daily alkalinity solution (made from a 2 part product).

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your Magnesium at? If it's about 3x your Calcium (1515) you could just bump your Alkalinity up using baking soda, although those numbers are pretty high. The first link below goes over the parameters recommended for a reef tank and the second one is just a calculator in case you need to make some changes. FWIW I use kalkwasser in my ATO too and whenever I need to make some changes I start with Magnesium first, then Calcium and then Alkalinity. If everything is in order the kalkwasser at the proper dosage should keep these numbers fairly stable for quite awhile.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.htm

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

Last edited:

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice from Cloak. Calcium hydroxide (kalk or kalkwasser) does raise calcium as well as carbonate alkalinity. Personally, I would not dose calcium hydroxide unless your tank needs calcium and carbonate.

To raise alkalinity alone, you could dose something like Randy Holmes-Farley's DIY alkalinity supplement. Simply dissolve a few cups of baking soda in a gallon of water.

Keep in mind, though, you will need to test more frequently as you're dialing in the correct dose to raise your carbonate alkalinity to the desired levels.

OP
OP
JVS

JVS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your Magnesium at? If it's about 3x your Calcium (1515) you could just bump your Alkalinity up using baking soda, although those numbers are pretty high. The first link below goes over the parameters recommended for a reef tank and the second one is just a calculator in case you need to make some changes. FWIW I use kalkwasser in my ATO too and whenever I need to make some changes I start with Magnesium first, then Calcium and then Alkalinity. If everything is in order the kalkwasser at the proper dosage should keep these numbers fairly stable for quite awhile.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.htm

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

My Mag is 1460 would easing this raise the Alk

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In relation to your Calcium 1460 is fine right now IMO, but I would use that calculator in the link posted above and punch in your tank size, the product (baking soda) and your desired Alkalinity level and give it a shot. See how long the numbers hold for until you need to make some changes again. FWIW I'm going to go check my parameters here in the next hour or so and probably do the same thing. I'll post the results if your interested.

Btw how do your corals look? If all is well you might not want to fiddle with the chemistry of your tank too much and just stick with your current routine.

OP
OP
JVS

JVS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In relation to your Calcium 1460 is fine right now IMO, but I would use that calculator in the link posted above and punch in your tank size, the product (baking soda) and your desired Alkalinity level and give it a shot. See how long the numbers hold for until you need to make some changes again. FWIW I'm going to go check my parameters here in the next hour or so and probably do the same thing. I'll post the results if your interested.

Btw how do your corals look? If all is well you might not want to fiddle with the chemistry of your tank too much and just stick with your current routine.
yes I'd like to see them. My corals are really doing great so I am iffy on touching anything. Thank you for the advice.

highest_tides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to everything but learning so much everyday and appreciate everyone and the help they bring. Today my testing was:

Alk - 7.3 dKH
Ca - 465
Mg - 1260

I want to work my way up to an 8.3 Alk (and also work my SP down from 1.027 to 1.026) and felt my Mg and Ca was in decent ranges so I took the Baking Soda route..I used the reef chemistry conversion page. For my 55 g tank I generally assumed 45 g of water. I did a ro/di gallon to top off with 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda mixed in real well. The calculator called for 1 teaspoon so I cut it in half to slowly raise the Alk and to not create a big swing in PH..I am only holding two soft corals right now and just trying to work out the basics.

What does everyone think of my newbie thought process?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%

Back