Kalk and Trace Elements

dbroncos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone i am going to begin dosing Kalk to increase PH and Alk. Question had my matter tested by ICP and low on some other trace elements i.e., zinc, vanadium, copper, nickel, manganese, iron, chromium , cobalt, etc What worse should I dose to help those values?

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone i am going to begin dosing Kalk to increase PH and Alk. Question had my matter tested by ICP and low on some other trace elements i.e., zinc, vanadium, copper, nickel, manganese, iron, chromium , cobalt, etc What worse should I dose to help those values?
What system have you been using to keep your alk, calcium and mag supported in your tank ? 2-part, water changes, etc,.

Kalk does not unbalance your system.

Probably happens !

“So let it be written, so let it be done”

Last edited:
OP
OP
dbroncos

dbroncos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the article not sure I understand your question however. I do 10% water changes each week it’s a 53 gallon total system including sump. And it looks like some of the trace elements that are low Randy does recommend dosing for according to the charts.

OP
OP
dbroncos

dbroncos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expect they do in lots of people's water if they don't dose it, maybe even if they do dose it.
So my question would be what product should i use along with Kalk that would include at least these two trace elements?

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iron and Manganese both came back undetectable in my water sample.
Dr. Randy is pretty sharp on what is used the most.

I just wanted to get a reading on your current state by asking you what system. If you answered 2-part you could use some part C.

I use Seachem Trace and Reef Plus and add a few drops of chelated iron for my hydroponics.

I am waiting for Dr. Randy's Manganese and Iron supplement to be marketed.

Probably happens !

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my question would be what product should i use along with Kalk that would include at least these two trace elements?
I've gone DIY but Tropic Marin trace A and K has them in, along with other stuff. I've never had an ICP done, so can't give any indication of effectiveness, regarding numbers.

OP
OP
dbroncos

dbroncos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gone DIY but Tropic Marin trace A and K has them in, along with other stuff. I've never had an ICP done, so can't give any indication of effectiveness, regarding numbers.
Topic Marin A and K are to be kept and dosed separately, correct?

DenverSaltyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose kalk and do a 10% water change every week along with dosing Tropic Marin A and k daily and tank is happy. ICP shows everything in range.

I have a 240 gallon system and my tank calls for 10ML of each per day based on the instructions but have been only using 7ML per day of each

OP
OP
dbroncos

dbroncos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose kalk and do a 10% water change every week along with dosing Tropic Marin A and k daily and tank is happy. ICP shows everything in range.

I have a 240 gallon system and my tank calls for 10ML of each per day based on the instructions but have been only using 7ML per day of each
Do those need to be dosed separately? I currently have two dosing heads. I was using one for Kalk.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy also has a DIY supplements list with links for iron and manganese supplementation ideas:

OP
OP
dbroncos

dbroncos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a 240 gallon system and my tank calls for 10ML of each per day based on the instructions but have been only using 7ML per day of

Do you use dosing pumps to administer? and if so which ones do you use?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion, don't know if it's wanted... is that if you're doing 10% weekly water changes, you likely don't need to dose anything beyond alk and Ca. I wouldn't waste time or money with ICP in this situation.

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the article not sure I understand your question however. I do 10% water changes each week it’s a 53 gallon total system including sump. And it looks like some of the trace elements that are low Randy does recommend dosing for according to the charts.
I would say his 53-gallon black box is using trace elements and his water changes are not keeping up with usage.

Any method proposed so far to add the trace elements you desire will work. The dosage amount will IMO have to be measured by further ICP testing.

Probably happens !

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several problems with gauging whether trace elements are needed by icp.

1. The chemical form present is not provided by icp and it can make a big difference in bioavailability and toxicity.

2. We do not have much info on what levels of what chemical forms of each trace element are needed by each organism we keep.

Thus, trial and error dosing, looking at the response of the organisms (if any) should play a role in deciding what is useful.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2. We do not have much info on what levels of what chemical forms of each trace element are needed by each organism we keep.
That's an important point, IMO. Just because something gets depleted, doesn't mean that it's needed in any appreciable amount by our fish or corals.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back