Does every new tank have an algae outbreak?

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm on week 6 of my fishless cycle in my Red Sea 425. I can add ammonium chloride raise it to 2ppm and in about 2 days be back to zero ammonia and zero nitrite, so I guess my cycle is complete. I'm going to do 100% water change this weekend for my monster nitrates, and FINALLY add my first fish.

My question is actually about CUCs. I've been cycling the tank with no lights, I started with dry rock, and I've seen zero algae. So I would presume, there's nothing for a CUC to eat. Do I need to give it a week or two with the fish pooping and left over food before adding snails, etc or are there tiny micro organisms already that the snails can be munching on right away?

In my research people say add the CUC when you see your first algae bloom. Which got me wondering, will my tank have an algae bloom, I mean I know it's common, but is it just a fact? As soon as I add that fish and turn the lights on is it going to be diatom central, or is it possible to start a tank and keep the algae from appearing?

Nuclear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the research I’ve seen says yes.(unless tank to tank with live rock, live sand,minimum die off etc) Every new tank will get algae. I’ve also seen threads about people not seeing algae, which turns out they cycled dark and when the started turning the lights on, algae started blooming. Maybe put your lights on there everyday cycle they’ll be on and wait a few days to see? Algae may just be waiting for lights.

I’m new, so not talking from experience, just what my research has shown.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to do 100% water change. You can do a 10% water change and then test for your Nitrates. Then test the Ammonia should be 0, Nitrites should be 0 and Nitrates less than 5ppm. Then you're good for a fish and later you can add an small CUC.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The diatom algae will show anyway during the process to mature until the bacteria get steady on the system but don't start adding many fish to quick because the crash will happens.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back