Does Flow Sensor reading change because of pipe diameter?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I'm running 1 1/4 and 1 1/2" tubing throughout my system. Neptune doesn't have a flow sensor for either of those sizes, so naturally I want to use the 2" sensor with adapters on both ends.

My question is, will this give me an inaccurate reading since flow changes in respect to the diameter of the tunnel?

There is an Inline UV being plumbed so I really want it to be as accurate as possible. This is the last thing I'm questioning in my cart before I finally place the order for my new plumbing.

Figure_13_01_02a.jpg

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flow will be the same in all areas. Flow does not change the velocity does. If the velocity is to slow it would effect the accuracy. What are the specs for the minimum flow of the sensor?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm running 1 1/4 and 1 1/2" tubing throughout my system. Neptune doesn't have a flow sensor for either of those sizes, so naturally I want to use the 2" sensor with adapters on both ends.

My question is, will this give me an inaccurate reading since flow changes in respect to the diameter of the tunnel?

There is an Inline UV being plumbed so I really want it to be as accurate as possible. This is the last thing I'm questioning in my cart before I finally place the order for my new plumbing.

Figure_13_01_02a.jpg
Neptune makes limited sizes because as you showed, you change to the size for the sensor and use one they have. For example, 3/4” pvc you either use the 1” or the 1/2”. These sensors are calibrated for their size. That is why in apex you have to specify the size.

so to answer your question, it will not give an inaccurate reading. The diagram you showed is a good one. Think conservation of mass - it must be constant (you can’t crate it or destroy it). So if you take any section of pipe along the way whatever comes into, the same amount must leave it. When you have a small diameter it has a given flow velocity and therefore mass flow rate. If the diameter changes to larger, the mass flow rate must stay the same (what comes in must go out) and therefore the velocity will slow down. A good analogy is take a garden hose and connect it to a fire hose. The water comes flying out of the garden hose but won’t come out at the same speed at the end of the fire hose.

The Neptune sensors work by measuring how fast the wheel spins and knowing the cross sectional area of the pipe at the wheel. It doesn’t matter what is up stream or downstream for the measurement (assuming it’s all full of water and not air)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 44 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.1%
Back