Does Fritz ammonia remover/detoxifier work?

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanna know if it at all works or once that ammonia is detoxified will it be converted to nitrates?

IMG_20240122_153909.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an informative thread about ammonia and prime:

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe these products do something. I know and have read all the things like the above and I am probably wrong ( ask my ex she knows how wrong I usually am). Lets just say it works, pretend. If it binds ammonia like prime says how does your bacteria use it? It cant. I would never use a product like this in a newly cycling tank.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe these products do something. I know and have read all the things like the above and I am probably wrong ( ask my ex she knows how wrong I usually am). Lets just say it works, pretend. If it binds ammonia like prime says how does your bacteria use it? It cant. I would never use a product like this in a newly cycling tank.
Yeah, i never used them in a cycling tank but usually used seachem safe incase I put too much food just to be on the safer side, I honestly never thought of them just not working since brands can be sued for false advertising Lol

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an informative thread about ammonia and prime:

Thank you, i thought Fritz ammonia remover was different than the conditioner Lol

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, i never used them in a cycling tank but usually used seachem safe incase I put too much food just to be on the safer side, I honestly never thought of them just not working since brands can be sued for false advertising Lol
Like I said I believe it does something what it is or how it works no idea. I know like above I am probably wrong.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you believe that you currently have elevated ammonia?
No, but incase I do have something like that in the future, i wanted to have a aid ready, since I have college, i don't think I have the stamina to come home and do a massive water change Lol, since i first began my fish keeping, I've had so many ammonia problems that now I can most likely just tell by smell if I have ammonia or not, pretty concerning yet pretty beneficial i guess? Lol

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, but incase I do have something like that in the future, i wanted to have a aid ready, since I have college, i don't think I have the stamina to come home and do a massive water change Lol
OK, my answer would be I do not know, but it sounds exactly like a Prime knockoff (so similar in description that my expectation is that they licensed or somehow got it from Seachem) and I wouldn't have high expectations.

That said, ammonia is rarely a problem in an operating reef tank, except perhaps in emergency situations suc h as a power failure where things are already dying.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, my answer would be I do not know, but it sounds exactly like a Prime knockoff (so similar in description that my expectation is that they licensed or somehow got it from Seachem) and I wouldn't have high expectations.

That said, ammonia is rarely a problem in an operating reef tank, except perhaps in emergency situations suc h as a power failure where things are already dying.
Absolutely, I live in india, power outages are quite common here, i do have a inverter but it at times doesn't work due to my tanks taking high electricity.

Thanks for your knowledge, i was thinking of buying the product but if it's just gonna be a knockoff of seachem then I already have seachem safe, so might aswell save my money for something else.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

"Chemical Identity Numbers of Identity % by Weight
Sodium Hydroxymethanesulfinate CAS# 870-72-4 Proprietary"

So it works to the extent that ClorAm-X, Amquel, etc works which as far as I can measure is a very small, maybe zero amount.
If you're going to buy a fritz product for an ammonia emergency, buy their nitrifying bacteria - they are verifiably fast and effective.
This product is a fine dechlorinator though.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, taricha. Curious and perhaps reflective of the lack of independent thought in reef supply companies that the directions and wording of those directions so closely mimics Seachem.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, taricha. Curious and perhaps reflective of the lack of independent thought in reef supply companies that the directions and wording of those directions so closely mimics Seachem.
I think our experience with the Boost pH+ claim of not affecting alkalinity maybe suggests that we cannot assume vendors know much about the products they sell nor have the technical expertise to challenge those claims.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back