Ammonia more or less beneficial to corals. . . and plants?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My basic understanding is that ammonia is more “beneficial“ than its counterparts in the nitrogen cycle, nitrite and nitrate, at least in regards to corals and plants. I put the word beneficial in quotes, as I don’t think that is entirely correct, but it is the best way I can put it. Again, as I understand it, both Coral’s and plants more readily absorb ammonia from the water column than they do other waste materials? Is this correct? If so, what does this mean for ammonia dosing in regards to health and growth of the animal or plant?

I have a bunch more questions but better make sure I understand the premise.

Also I know corals aren’t plans but the I once read that this preference for ammonia applies to both and it is important for some follow up questions. . .

@Randy Holmes-Farley, maybe you have already done a write up on this, if so I am sorry I missed it.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My basic understanding is that ammonia is more “beneficial“ than its counterparts in the nitrogen cycle, nitrite and nitrate, at least in regards to corals and plants. I put the word beneficial in quotes, as I don’t think that is entirely correct, but it is the best way I can put it. Again, as I understand it, both Coral’s and plants more readily absorb ammonia from the water column than they do other waste materials? Is this correct? If so, what does this mean for ammonia dosing in regards to health and growth of the animal or plant?

I have a bunch more questions but better make sure I understand the premise.

Also I know corals aren’t plans but the I once read that this preference for ammonia applies to both and it is important for some follow up questions. . .

@Randy Holmes-Farley, maybe you have already done a write up on this, if so I am sorry I missed it.
I started dosing ammonia (bicarb) about 3 mos ago. Same rate roughly as in the attached article. Nitrate Runs around 10 ppm.
No ill effects, no real positives either, yet.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia requires less chemical energy to use as a source of N, but whether that matters relative to available nitrate is not entirely clear.

There are a number of user experiences dosing ammonium in the link above.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back