Ammonia in Red Sea Coral Pro? & ammonia issue in established tank.

OP
OP
T

TilleysReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I read it, just verifying the salt. I was having nutrient issues and had coral dieoff. My LFS guy thinks the salt might have been an issue with higher nutrient levela and suggested I switch salts. Might not be your issue but I figured I would mention it just in case
Thank you very much

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I read it, just verifying the salt. I was having nutrient issues and had coral dieoff. My LFS guy thinks the salt might have been an issue with higher nutrient levela and suggested I switch salts. Might not be your issue but I figured I would mention it just in case

I'm not aware of any concerns like that. I think perhaps there was confusion getting the story from them.

The reverse can be a concern: low N and P with high alkalinity can in some cases lead to burnt tips of certain SPS corals.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not aware of any concerns like that. I think perhaps there was confusion getting the story from them.

The reverse can be a concern: low N and P with high alkalinity can in some cases lead to burnt tips of certain SPS corals.
Interesting. I took their recommendation and switched salt. To be honest the chemistry part of reefing is hard, I was not good at science! But Im slowly learning from your posts! I did notice all my corals died when I did switch to the RS coral pro salt which I found interesting, and also why I did switch salt. I switched about 2 weeks ago, just been doing slow water changes to get the new salt in. Would love to have my corals back and thriving

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I took their recommendation and switched salt. To be honest the chemistry part of reefing is hard, I was not good at science! But Im slowly learning from your posts! I did notice all my corals died when I did switch to the RS coral pro salt which I found interesting, and also why I did switch salt. I switched about 2 weeks ago, just been doing slow water changes to get the new salt in. Would love to have my corals back and thriving

I’m sorry about the corals. Sadly, many, if not most, coral deaths remain unexplained. I expect we are similar to people in the Middle Ages that knew what symptoms might lead to death, but really didn’t understand why most people died or how to prevent it.

OP
OP
T

TilleysReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as an update. I did a 60% water change back to Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. About half the zoas are open, my Duncan is open again, anemones look much happier, frogspawn and torch looking better as well as my goni and daisy polyps. Maybe it is a coincidence, but I think I'll stick with Instant Ocean from now on. I know a lot of people have had tons of luck with CP, but I have in my research came across a few stories similar to mine. Main reason I think I'll stay with Instant Ocean is the same reason most coral growers do, it's synthetic so you know exactly what's in it, unlike water from the Red Sea evaporated in the open air on its shores. I understand this does not concretely explain CP was the issue, however after this experience I would rather be safe than sorry.

Note: If the apparent recovery does not continue, I will post an update.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back