OP
Dan_P

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

.04 here's the thread. the nano reef it was baselined on with one tiny fish and packed wall to wall in surface area was not running truly at .04 but that suffices for a baseline, and it suffices there to show api will show dark green in a tank that has no ammonia issues.

anyone who read or saw that api reading/color in that thread above, taken on it's own, would in unison agree the tank isn't cycled. but paired with a calibrated seneye, we didn't even need to trim it into the thousandths to make use of the seneye reading portion.
There is a possible missing chapter in this story: temperature and pH. Free ammonia which the Seneye detects can be undetectable but the API test says differently when the pH is low. We would need to pair up Seneye readings with temperature and pH of the water in which it was submerged to back calculate the total ammonia which the API test detects.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a possible missing chapter in this story: temperature and pH. Free ammonia which the Seneye detects can be undetectable but the API test says differently when the pH is low. We would need to pair up Seneye readings with temperature and pH of the water in which it was submerged to back calculate the total ammonia which the API test detects.
As far as seneye is concerned it calculates total ammonia from pH and free ammonia, presumably temperature. Not a very good strike rate if temperature and pH is off.

OP
OP
Dan_P

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as seneye is concerned it calculates total ammonia from pH and free ammonia, presumably temperature. Not a very good strike rate if temperature and pH is off.
Agreed.

Calibrate, calibrate, calibrate analytical devices and methods :)

OP
OP
Dan_P

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a good job ammonia in a running reef is always under control, unless someone lobs some ammonia in, or some other weird event, lol.
I am going to be looking at that when the current project is completed. I will first dose the experimental aquaria with ammonia and monitor disappearance with the Seneye before trying it on the tank with the pet fish :)

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be looking at that when the current project is completed. I will first dose the experimental aquaria with ammonia and monitor disappearance with the Seneye before trying it on the tank with the pet fish :)
You could call her Ami. (Test subject No1)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had a Seneye, one thing I’d do as a test is measure a seawater solution with low but detectable free ammonia and fairly low pH, then substantially raise the pH with a very small volume hydroxide or carbonate addition, and see how the free and total ammonia changes. Obviously free ammonia should rise, but not total ammonia.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had a Seneye, one thing I’d do as a test is measure a seawater solution with low but detectable free ammonia and fairly low pH, then substantially raise the pH with a very small volume hydroxide or carbonate addition, and see how the free and total ammonia changes. Obviously free ammonia should rise, but not total ammonia.
I'd chip in to buy you one, I know times are difficult for successful expert chemists at the minute. We would certainly believe your results.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd chip in to buy you one, I know times are difficult for successful expert chemists at the minute. We would certainly believe your results.
I would chip in too...

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not money.. a billionaire like Randy doesn't need the money. I would chip in homemade bacon, it is a lab must-have for long hours of testing.

OP
OP
Dan_P

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this serve as a validation that the sensing film response to free ammonia is not sensitive to pH?

avocadoman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great thread. Does anyone have any idea of explanation why Seneye doesn't calculate and give a total ammonia reading? It would be very useful while cycling a tank, given how small changes in pH dramatically affect the free concentration.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this serve as a validation that the sensing film response to free ammonia is not sensitive to pH?

I assumed it calculated a total ammonia and the idea was to test that methodology. But if it doesn’t, it’s a less useful test.

OP
OP
Dan_P

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great thread. Does anyone have any idea of explanation why Seneye doesn't calculate and give a total ammonia reading? It would be very useful while cycling a tank, given how small changes in pH dramatically affect the free concentration.
I don’t know whether it does somewhere on its app.

I would not trust the calculation because at least for my Seneye’s temperature, pH and free ammonia measurement needed calibration. Any calculation using these measurements would produce a poor estimation of the total ammonia. If you always measured the free ammonia with Seneye at the same temperature and pH, you would obtain a relative measure of free ammonia, data suitable to trend the decline in total ammonia over time. Not sure it would be worth the effort. I am going to be using the Seneye in experimental aquaria. If I discover an easy way around this, I will post it.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.04 here's the thread. the nano reef it was baselined on with one tiny fish and packed wall to wall in surface area was not running truly at .04 but that suffices for a baseline, and it suffices there to show api will show dark green in a tank that has no ammonia issues.

Just for kicks, and because I'm an API fan - what if we take Dan's calibration data and run it back on that thread.....
image.png

From the thread....

And todats Seneye vs. API - I have made no changes to the tank at all. NH3 consistently dropping slowly on the Seneye - looks as thought its lower on the API too. pH is dropping slowly - will see how things are at the weekend when I do a 20% water change. (the little spike in pH is when we transferred the seneye to the Evo last night...)
1631812639733.png

1631812734043.png

0.037 seneye at pH 7.82.
From Dan's chart, his seneye reading 0.037 could correlate to somewhere around ~0.13ppm actual free ammonia. And if we run that on a free ammonia calculator with 7.82pH and 0.13ppm free ammonia.....
Screen Shot 2024-03-04 at 6.41.16 AM.png

The calculator says that would correspond to ~4ppm total ammonia, which frankly looks a LOT like the API test color.
So with Dan's calibration chart, they don't actually disagree at all - but seneye and API both point to maybe 4-ishppm total ammonia.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting I was waiting for the day when you and Dan got this play toy :)

Why in your view within that thread did a two year old nano reef running tiny fish and packed full of ammonia consumers register as 4 ppm total / problematic ammonia? Are you thinking that some two year old nanos full of coral and surface area and no apparent mass source and some tiny fish might be running that day to day?

This strikes you as a system unable to control free ammonia at the .00x level?

This was an excellent benchmark nano in the thread to show that Api can cause false alarms, this tank needs no help.

He didn’t trim his seneye down to the .00x running levels but we can safely say his .04 reading is the base safety line. We didn’t have to trim it to reference that as his baseline

i wish we had him run the api test on that nano he used to benchmark the seneye.

0AF2F175-8D5B-4B40-BA2C-F104820200B2.png

The reading you state you believe is accurate at barely sublethal levels of ammonia (below .05 as the going number from prior threads on toxicity max) comes from that two year old nano reef. It's not in ammonia distress at all. It runs in total control, no where near toxicity, day to day.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dan_P

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for kicks, and because I'm an API fan - what if we take Dan's calibration data and run it back on that thread.....

From the thread....

0.037 seneye at pH 7.82.
From Dan's chart, his seneye reading 0.037 could correlate to somewhere around ~0.13ppm actual free ammonia. And if we run that on a free ammonia calculator with 7.82pH and 0.13ppm free ammonia.....
Screen Shot 2024-03-04 at 6.41.16 AM.png

The calculator says that would correspond to ~4ppm total ammonia, which frankly looks a LOT like the API test color.
So with Dan's calibration chart, they don't actually disagree at all - but seneye and API both point to maybe 4-ishppm total ammonia.
Nice pulling the loose threads together.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back