Clowns and crabs have been in for four days and ammonia is up... please advise.

elzibar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total newbie. Well cycled tank has just had its first fish. Lots of pre-research done but when into it, it turns out that concern sets in and I forget what I've read!

Ammonia was 0 for first little while (PH, Nitrite and Nitrate all good) but ammonia has now crept up to 0.25ppm ish.

Am I in water change territory or other measures?

Sorry if this is a silly question. So desperate to do this right. Photo attached of the latest test.

Thank you.

20240327_212412.jpg

OP
OP
E

elzibar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. That's a relief to read. What is a reasonable range for total ammonia?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. That's a relief to read. What is a reasonable range for total ammonia?
With API, try to stick with 0.25 and less (slightly green). How did you cycle the tank, what size is it, and what is your water change schedule?

OP
OP
E

elzibar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With API, try to stick with 0.25 and less (slightly green). How did you cycle the tank, what size is it, and what is your water change schedule?

85L so I think just under 20 gallons, TMC Next Wave Aquarium. I did a fishless cycle for 3 weeks until ammonia was done away with and nitrites too. Just used a bio additive liquid thing to get it all going at the start and left it to do its thing.

Did a 10% water change once cycled then put fish in the next day having checked all still stable. That was Saturday. And here we are.

OP
OP
E

elzibar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything I can do around now to reduce the liklihood/severity of the potential/unavoidable 'ugly stage'? Everything currently looks pristine.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything I can do around now to reduce the liklihood/severity of the potential/unavoidable 'ugly stage'? Everything currently looks pristine

Realistically? Learn to love green rocks

Unless you have your tank under room lights only you’re going to get algae of some sort. Its already in there, and will get added with any livestock.

Snails (a diverse collection of species) and conches (if you have a sand bed) are effective for controlling many species of algae, and will each bring in their own microbiome that will also probably help too.

Starting out you’ll probably see a few waves of algae as your parameters swing around while your tank settles down.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything I can do around now to reduce the liklihood/severity of the potential/unavoidable 'ugly stage'? Everything currently looks pristine.
No. "Pristine" is not natural, it's sterile; algae is part of a healthy marine ecosystem.

Back to the original question, if your tank is only 20 gallons, you can easily do a much larger water change. What are your ammonia and nitrate readings today?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. "Pristine" is not natural, it's sterile; algae is part of a healthy marine ecosystem.

Back to the original question, if your tank is only 20 gallons, you can easily do a much larger water change. What are your ammonia and nitrate readings today?
Also, if you have no algae, what are the crabs eating? Could one of them have died of starvation and cause the ammonia to rise?

OP
OP
E

elzibar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, all still present and correct. Looks like it was a natural spike after adding the fish. Levelling out now. Thanks for responses.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back