Hello. UK Newbie here. Set up and (possibly) ready for a couple of clowns!

elzibar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.

I'm here feeling daunted and excited in equal measure having had our 85L tank set up and cycling for a good few weeks.

I would love it if anyone could tell me whether we're cycled. I have a 10 and a 6 year old here busting a gut to shop for first fishies tomorrow!

Are we go?!..

PH 7.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0.25ppm
Nitrate 5-10ppm

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome33.gif

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello everyone.

I'm here feeling daunted and excited in equal measure having had our 85L tank set up and cycling for a good few weeks.

I would love it if anyone could tell me whether we're cycled. I have a 10 and a 6 year old here busting a gut to shop for first fishies tomorrow!

Are we go?!..

PH 7.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0.25ppm
Nitrate 5-10ppm
Not sure how you are testing typically you want to add ammonia chloride which will raise the ammonia level. Add your liquid denitrifying bacteria. If the bacteria culture is doing its job, when ammonia rises then falls and holds a steady reading of Zero for at least 5 days and also nitrate rises and falls and holds at 20 or below- you are cycled.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, just wanted to say that clowns are a very good fish for that size tank, and they are very hardy. You said ready for a couple clowns, so only get 2. Have fun!!

OP
OP
E

elzibar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how you are testing typically you want to add ammonia chloride which will raise the ammonia level. Add your liquid denitrifying bacteria. If the bacteria culture is doing its job, when ammonia rises then falls and holds a steady reading of Zero for at least 5 days and also nitrate rises and falls and holds at 20 or below- you are cycled.
Have been daily dosing 'Seed' (bacteria) to do that, so hopefully I'm done with ammonia now.

Thanks for your reply.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Have been daily dosing 'Seed' (bacteria) to do that, so hopefully I'm done with ammonia now.

Thanks for your reply.
the weeks you have cycled should clear you however if you have been using API test kits, would suggest taking a water sample to a trusted LFS that does Not use API tests and see what numbers they come up with and to compare with yours then you will know where your readings are at.

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world. Sounds like you are close. Take things slowly. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.
You can get the UK banner here: Click Account then “Join User Group”, scroll to the bottom and click on “United Kingdom User Group‘’
H8VECcFiTCylIqSp-MdpRw.jpeg

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I would agree with @vetteguy53081 and get another set of tests at a good LFS, just to be sure. It seems you are probably okay and 'hardy' fish like Clowns will probably have no problem with your parameters but it is easy to misread tests when you are just learning to use them, especially Ammonia readings. No sense stressing a fish accidently. Verify your readings with an LFS and if their results are close to yours, have fun buying your first fish. Once you've been testing for a while, and checking them with an LFS if they look suspect, you won't need to have your tests verified unless you have reason to believe one of your tests are giving false results, which does happen.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back