How to: 12 days away from a tank in final stage of cycling?

Milen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers! I'm new to the hobby and have a scenario that I'm not sure how to resolve, please help!
My nano 57 L/16 gal. tank was set up 2 weeks ago with 8kg of live rock and Bali sand. No added bacteria or other magic in bottle! Pump and ATO are on, light not switched on. Cycle was moving fast and now ammonia is 0, Nitrite 0.05, Nitrate 15 and going down. No water changed so far. Since couple of days I see copepods swimming.
All good until here, but I need to be away in 2 days for a period of 12 days. The question is how to handle the tank in order not to kill the cycle by the time I'm back?

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave lights off. - You don't want to come back to a brown nightmare.
Leave Pump and power heads on. Keep your system circulating.
Leave ATO filled sufficently so it can last until you come back.
If it can't handle 12 days of you away, then turn ATO off, so your ATO pump doesn't run dry.

Give your system another dose of ammonia 2ppm before you leave, so your bacteria doesn't go into hibernation right away.

Go on your 12 days.

You won't lose your cycle.
At worst, your cycle will just slow down due to the lack of resources.

When you come back, do another 2ppm dose, and see if you can convert ammonia to nitrate in 24 hours.
If things all look good, do a final 40-50% water change, and then start stocking SLOWLY.

Id start with a small fish, and see how it goes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Milen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Naekuh ! I'll need to read more about adding ammonia since haven't done it so far, but it build up by it's own from the live rock.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also setup an autofeeder, and have it drop food for it to decay while your gone.
As it decays it will produce Ammonia, and keep your biological happy.

You only need a TINY amount once per day or every other day if that is an option.

But definitely keep lights off, or if you can Cover the tank up, including the TOP so you can have less evaporation happening.

A airstone is also a good idea as well, to keep the tank oxygenated even more.

OP
OP
M

Milen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also setup an autofeeder, and have it drop food for it to decay while your gone.
As it decays it will produce Ammonia, and keep your biological happy.

You only need a TINY amount once per day or every other day if that is an option.

But definitely keep lights off, or if you can Cover the tank up, including the TOP so you can have less evaporation happening.

A airstone is also a good idea as well, to keep the tank oxygenated even more.
Indeed I have a possibility to add autofeeder and will cover the tank. Currently about 6L RODI auto tops for a week, so will fill the ATO container up to the 10 L max and cover the tank. Thanks a lot again!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back