Information on Kansas City, Mo-Reefing Usa 5/4

yellow tang lover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you guys have any info on this show I’m planning on going to it and I don’t even know where it’s happening

spawn79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just emailed them myself. Not sure what's going on with these shows. Something happened to their website (unpaid bill maybe) and it was down for a while. The FB hasn't been updated in quite a while. *sigh* I guess contacting one of the vendors might be a next step.

spawn79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Emailed a vendor last night and got a reply that they were super busy with the spring schedule and KC got pushed back to the fall. They updated their FB page just today with a post saying the same. So hopefully maybe it'll happen. KC just isn't that good of a market any more unfortunately.

OP
OP
yellow tang lover

yellow tang lover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emailed a vendor last night and got a reply that they were super busy with the spring schedule and KC got pushed back to the fall. They updated their FB page just today with a post saying the same. So hopefully maybe it'll happen. KC just isn't that good of a market any more unfortunately.

Dang that sucks

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are you saying not a good market for shows or just reefing in general? I'm in the Dallas area and our shows are pathetic from a turn out standpoint. The last show was back in early March and their was a freshwater show the same day. I tried to go to the freshwater show but they were so packed I couldn't find a parking spot and the wait to get in was at least 50 people deep. I gave up and headed over to the frag swap and it was about dead. There were almost as many vendors as there were customers. It has been like that since they were able to start back up after COVID. A frag swap used to get hundreds of buyers, now you are lucky if 50 show up. I know the number of hobbyist has increased, I guess they just don't want to go to a frag swap. The one sort of bright spot is Aquashella here. That has thousands of attendees, though most are freshwater. I talked to one local vendor that had a booth at Aquashella and he said it was very frustrating to have all the freshwater people blocking his booth saying "look at all the pretty colors" and the people that actually were there to buy couldn't get to the booth.

spawn79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Kind of both actually. One show was cancelled last year or the year before due to "lack of interest". Now this one has been pushed back. I'd say lack of interest is just as likely as them just being too busy. Saltwater shops don't seem to stick around very long here and there are few compared to other cities with even smaller populations. There are a few FB groups but definitely not the engagement and activity I see elsewhere.
I don't know. Times have changed and things have "evolved" too. There used to be big get-togethers, cookouts, house parties, etc. Everyone would bring frags, give them away or sell for pennies compared to today. Now it's all on FB and there isn't the interaction and visibility you get on places like this where there's preservation of conversation for helping others in the future.
I guess I'm just getting old and longing for the past but demmit... some things really were better. I know the frags certainly were!

edit: Oh yeah, speaking of shows. Even Reefstock this year wasn't what it has been in the past. There seemed to be a lot fewer people. Certainly fewer vendors. It seemed that the people that did show up however were ready and willing to spend money so at least people on both sides went home happy.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 23 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back