Does Fritz ammonia remover/detoxifier work?

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanna know if it at all works or once that ammonia is detoxified will it be converted to nitrates?

IMG_20240122_153909.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an informative thread about ammonia and prime:

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe these products do something. I know and have read all the things like the above and I am probably wrong ( ask my ex she knows how wrong I usually am). Lets just say it works, pretend. If it binds ammonia like prime says how does your bacteria use it? It cant. I would never use a product like this in a newly cycling tank.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe these products do something. I know and have read all the things like the above and I am probably wrong ( ask my ex she knows how wrong I usually am). Lets just say it works, pretend. If it binds ammonia like prime says how does your bacteria use it? It cant. I would never use a product like this in a newly cycling tank.
Yeah, i never used them in a cycling tank but usually used seachem safe incase I put too much food just to be on the safer side, I honestly never thought of them just not working since brands can be sued for false advertising Lol

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an informative thread about ammonia and prime:

Thank you, i thought Fritz ammonia remover was different than the conditioner Lol

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, i never used them in a cycling tank but usually used seachem safe incase I put too much food just to be on the safer side, I honestly never thought of them just not working since brands can be sued for false advertising Lol
Like I said I believe it does something what it is or how it works no idea. I know like above I am probably wrong.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you believe that you currently have elevated ammonia?
No, but incase I do have something like that in the future, i wanted to have a aid ready, since I have college, i don't think I have the stamina to come home and do a massive water change Lol, since i first began my fish keeping, I've had so many ammonia problems that now I can most likely just tell by smell if I have ammonia or not, pretty concerning yet pretty beneficial i guess? Lol

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, but incase I do have something like that in the future, i wanted to have a aid ready, since I have college, i don't think I have the stamina to come home and do a massive water change Lol
OK, my answer would be I do not know, but it sounds exactly like a Prime knockoff (so similar in description that my expectation is that they licensed or somehow got it from Seachem) and I wouldn't have high expectations.

That said, ammonia is rarely a problem in an operating reef tank, except perhaps in emergency situations suc h as a power failure where things are already dying.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, my answer would be I do not know, but it sounds exactly like a Prime knockoff (so similar in description that my expectation is that they licensed or somehow got it from Seachem) and I wouldn't have high expectations.

That said, ammonia is rarely a problem in an operating reef tank, except perhaps in emergency situations suc h as a power failure where things are already dying.
Absolutely, I live in india, power outages are quite common here, i do have a inverter but it at times doesn't work due to my tanks taking high electricity.

Thanks for your knowledge, i was thinking of buying the product but if it's just gonna be a knockoff of seachem then I already have seachem safe, so might aswell save my money for something else.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

"Chemical Identity Numbers of Identity % by Weight
Sodium Hydroxymethanesulfinate CAS# 870-72-4 Proprietary"

So it works to the extent that ClorAm-X, Amquel, etc works which as far as I can measure is a very small, maybe zero amount.
If you're going to buy a fritz product for an ammonia emergency, buy their nitrifying bacteria - they are verifiably fast and effective.
This product is a fine dechlorinator though.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, taricha. Curious and perhaps reflective of the lack of independent thought in reef supply companies that the directions and wording of those directions so closely mimics Seachem.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, taricha. Curious and perhaps reflective of the lack of independent thought in reef supply companies that the directions and wording of those directions so closely mimics Seachem.
I think our experience with the Boost pH+ claim of not affecting alkalinity maybe suggests that we cannot assume vendors know much about the products they sell nor have the technical expertise to challenge those claims.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 16 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back