Does Furan 2 coloration affect the result of Hanna copper?

ReneMiami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I just set up a QT and I am currently dosing Metro, Kanaplex and Furan 2. In addition I also started Cupramine. I had dosed 1ml of Cupramine in 10g of water and Hanna tested 0.22. I am on day 3 of QT and was ready to make a water change. Prepared 3g of new water on a bucket, added 0.3ml of cupramine and Hanna tested 0.71. I expected it to be close to the 0.20 mark since I dosed approx 1/3 of Cu to 1/3 of the new water.
The question is, Since Furan 2 tints the water (yellow), could that affect the color when Hanna reads is? Is the measurement accurate when dosing Furan 2?
Thank you in advance.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I just set up a QT and I am currently dosing Metro, Kanaplex and Furan 2. In addition I also started Cupramine. I had dosed 1ml of Cupramine in 10g of water and Hanna tested 0.22. I am on day 3 of QT and was ready to make a water change. Prepared 3g of new water on a bucket, added 0.3ml of cupramine and Hanna tested 0.71. I expected it to be close to the 0.20 mark since I dosed approx 1/3 of Cu to 1/3 of the new water.
The question is, Since Furan 2 tints the water (yellow), could that affect the color when Hanna reads is? Is the measurement accurate when dosing Furan 2?
Thank you in advance.
That's a good question, but I can't answer it. The Hanna checker uses the Bicinchoninate copper reagent. The color it produces in the presence of copper is reddish. I can't tell you if the yellow color from Furan will interfere with the red color. The only real way to determine that is to dose some non-copper water with Furan, and then run a test. If it reads zero, then there is no interference. If it gives a false positive, then you should deduct that amount from any reading you get with the checker.

Jay

capted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great question. I never dosed all 4 together. Is that safe to do? Jay has a good idea about the test with only furan. Makes you wonder about the same issue with other medicines that have green or blue tints.

OP
OP
R

ReneMiami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good question, but I can't answer it. The Hanna checker uses the Bicinchoninate copper reagent. The color it produces in the presence of copper is reddish. I can't tell you if the yellow color from Furan will interfere with the red color. The only real way to determine that is to dose some non-copper water with Furan, and then run a test. If it reads zero, then there is no interference. If it gives a false positive, then you should deduct that amount from any reading you get with the checker.

Jay
Great idea. But I think I will get two water samples, one with furan and one without it. I will add the same amount of Cupramine to each and will test each one, then I will compare the results. The one with Furan should be more orange while the one without should be reddish. I will see how hanna interprets it. When I do it I will post the results.
Thank you Jay.

Back