How do i read the salifert copper test properly?

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 6.3 gallons total AIO but prob filled 5.5 gallons and with water displacement from stuff in sump. Quarantining a fire fish. 2 days ago i added 0.5ml of cupramine measured with 1ml syringe and tested. Looked like it was around 0.25 to me. Yesterday i added 0.25ml and today added the remaining 0.25ml to make it a total of 1ml for the 5.5 ish gallons of water in the tank. Problem is im basically colour blind so dont see colours that clearly but have used salifert copper test years ago and could see when levels are at 0.5. Thats when the test results strip was just a small piece. Now its the bigger square chart and im confused. Do i look at it with some light shining from where im looking from or look at it with no direct light? Im thinking its pretty close to 0.5? It looks lighter with some back light and darker without any light from behind me so i dont know which to follow. Top pic is with no light behind me and bottom pic is me having my back faced to the window.
IMG_6565.jpeg
IMG_6567.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 6.3 gallons total AIO but prob filled 5.5 gallons and with water displacement from stuff in sump. Quarantining a fire fish. 2 days ago i added 0.5ml of cupramine measured with 1ml syringe and tested. Looked like it was around 0.25 to me. Yesterday i added 0.25ml and today added the remaining 0.25ml to make it a total of 1ml for the 5.5 ish gallons of water in the tank. Problem is im basically colour blind so dont see colours that clearly but have used salifert copper test years ago and could see when levels are at 0.5. Thats when the test results strip was just a small piece. Now its the bigger square chart and im confused. Do i look at it with some light shining from where im looking from or look at it with no direct light? Im thinking its pretty close to 0.5? It looks lighter with some back light and darker without any light from behind me so i dont know which to follow. Top pic is with no light behind me and bottom pic is me having my back faced to the window.
IMG_6565.jpeg
IMG_6567.jpeg

In most test kits, you read down through the reagents, but Salifert has you read it just like you are doing. the color change is subtle though.

IMO, that test is still a bit below 0.50

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back