Does GFO or UV Remove Medications?

CCK_8814

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 89.5%
17   2   0
Was going to treat one of my tanks with an antibiotic type medication and wondering if I need to take my GFO Reactor + UV sterilizer offline. I think the GFO is ok but the UV may need removed? Hopefully someone knows for sure. Thanks in advance!

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read many times that say, skimmer, carbon and UV off during medication. Not sure about GFO.. but I think to be safe I would shut it off too.

OP
OP
CCK_8814

CCK_8814

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 89.5%
17   2   0
I’ve read many times that say, skimmer, carbon and UV off during medication. Not sure about GFO.. but I think to be safe I would shut it off too.
That’s my thinking too, I’m just trying to work on some algae issues so rather not turn off GFO if I don’t have to. Hopefully someone will know the answer for sure. I agree with the UV though.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s my thinking too, I’m just trying to work on some algae issues so rather not turn off GFO if I don’t have to. Hopefully someone will know the answer for sure. I agree with the UV though.
Most medications are only active in the tank for 48hrs. So that’s a short time to have it shut off if you need to. I know that the directions on mine say to turn on everything and run carbon after the medication has ran it’s course. (General cure)

The medication you plan on using, what’s the directions on use?

OP
OP
CCK_8814

CCK_8814

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 89.5%
17   2   0
Most medications are only active in the tank for 48hrs. So that’s a short time to have it shut off if you need to. I know that the directions on mine say to turn on everything and run carbon after the medication has ran it’s course. (General cure)

The medication you plan on using, what’s the directions on use?
I’m going to treat one of my anemone tanks with ciprofloxacin. It’s a 7 day treatment.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO will actually remove quite a few substances besides phosphate.
In particular, it will remove many metals including copper.
Might not remove cipro, but I'd stop the GFO during treatment anyway.

OP
OP
CCK_8814

CCK_8814

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 89.5%
17   2   0
Cipro is photosensitive and breaks down fairly quickly when exposed to light. UV would definitely be recommended to be turned off during treatment.
Ya I had figured the UV was best turned off or I thought maybe turn it on for last 2-3 hours of the day to remove any remaining medication from the previous day before adding it again. The GFO is the one I’m mostly wondering about.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back