Does gsp drop pieces of itself in order to spread?

Juju2773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if gsp will drop small pieces of itself in order to spread? I have a four inch piece that has on at least 5 occasions i have been walking past my tank and noticed a teent flash of green . It seems to drop tiny pieces, with about two polyps and they blow into crevices at the base of my main rock. I feel lucky so far to have found them before theyve attached, but after the last one i am uneasy. I do not want it on my main rock. I have a nice sized rock designated just for away from everthing else. Any body know about this? I love how it looks but if it does indeed purposely drop pieces then i sadly may have to let it go.

Doctor Derp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP will for sure drop daughter colonies to attempt to spread further, especially once it runs out of room to encrust wherever it is.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My GSP I've had for 3 years tends to form like a purple base, it's neon green costs like £10, the purple base seems to spread rather than spawn/ babies/ droplet's but I assume it may happen, my tuxedo urchin may pinch and pull/ spread , mine only purple base/growth and easy to see/ manage.
It's generally just from purple base growth which is easily identifiable

OP
OP
Juju2773

Juju2773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP will for sure drop daughter colonies to attempt to spread further, especially once it runs out of room to encrust wherever it is.
Oh .. geez! Thanks for the info. I believe it for sure is dropping babies. Although it has not fully covered the big rock i put it on, only about 1/4th of it.
Im not sure what variety i have probably a branching one. My frag piece came in two curled stick like pieces that were crossed and attached in the center. It looks like it spreads over the surface with a purple body. And has pieces on the edges that stick up.
I love the way it looks but i may have to give it up. I have alot of rock and would hate to have it take over.

Doctor Derp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh .. geez! Thanks for the info. I believe it for sure is dropping babies. Although it has not fully covered the big rock i put it on, only about 1/4th of it.
Im not sure what variety i have probably a branching one. My frag piece came in two curled stick like pieces that were crossed and attached in the center. It looks like it spreads over the surface with a purple body. And has pieces on the edges that stick up.
I love the way it looks but i may have to give it up. I have alot of rock and would hate to have it take over.
What you describe sounds precisely like the branching GSP I am familiar with.

OP
OP
Juju2773

Juju2773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you describe sounds precisely like the branching GSP I am familiar with.
Thanks. Yeah, im pretty sure. I saw pictures of the big colony it xame from and it definitely had curled raised extensions. Its a hard choice, i do love it

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Yeah, im pretty sure. I saw pictures of the big colony it xame from and it definitely had curled raised extensions. Its a hard choice, i do love it
You can just scrape it off where it lands, don't let people fear monger you into giving up a coral you like. Just be on top of maintenance and look for pieces that drop off, easy peasy. I do that w xenia and my gsp, never had an issue

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back