GSP - What Happens Next

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this 120gal up and running for 5 months. About 3 months ago I put a frag of GSP in as a canary in a coal mine to see how it would do. Of course, it has thrived and is several times it's original size.

A GSP run amuck was one of the things that chased me out of the hobby 20 years ago, so this time I put it on an island to make it easier to control. As you can see, it has run out of room for development.

PXL_20240201_215550701.jpg

What happens next? Will it start growing along the sand?

I have access to a tile saw. I'm considering cutting of a small piece, gluing that to a larger rock and letting it start over. The rest would just go the the LFS to get adopted. However, I've grown to like the fully green pillow and would hate to do this if it isn't necessary. Then again, It'll grow back.

I'm about to make my first serious coral additions, and it's got me thinking about placement strategy.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had this 120gal up and running for 5 months. About 3 months ago I put a frag of GSP in as a canary in a coal mine to see how it would do. Of course, it has thrived and is several times it's original size.

A GSP run amuck was one of the things that chased me out of the hobby 20 years ago, so this time I put it on an island to make it easier to control. As you can see, it has run out of room for development.

I have access to a tile saw. I'm considering cutting of a small piece, gluing that to a larger rock and letting it start over. The rest would just go the the LFS to get adopted. However, I've grown to like the fully green pillow and would hate to do this if it isn't necessary. Then again, It'll grow back.

I'm about to make my first serious coral additions, and it's got me thinking about placement strategy.
If you don't want it to get out of control the safest bet is to remove it all together. I would use the tile saw to make some decent frags and trade them to LTS. . .

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have my GSP sitting on a clear sheet of acrylic (3x4 inches) about the same size of the rock the GSP is on. The growth goes onto the sheet and about every two months I pull it out, trim the new growth off and then back in the tank. No muss, no fuss.
20231014_184840.jpg

OP
OP
rhitee93

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my GSP sitting on a clear sheet of acrylic (3x4 inches) about the same size of the rock the GSP is on. The growth goes onto the sheet and about every two months I pull it out, trim the new growth off and then back in the tank. No muss, no fuss.
Interesting. I take it that the GSP just peels of the acrylic easily?

I went ahead and cut my rock up over the weeknd. However, it'll be overgrown again in a few months. I may follow your lead then.

Here is the frag I kept in the DT. I glued it to a piece of leftover marco rock. Unfortunately, the shape of the rock is going to make cutting it up rather awkward the next time.

PXL_20240206_151627365.jpg

Here are the other 3 frags in my observation tank. Not sure where they will head next. I'll need to find them homes one way or another.

PXL_20240205_162443980.jpg

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I take it that the GSP just peels of the acrylic easily?

I went ahead and cut my rock up over the weeknd. However, it'll be overgrown again in a few months. I may follow your lead then.

Here is the frag I kept in the DT. I glued it to a piece of leftover marco rock. Unfortunately, the shape of the rock is going to make cutting it up rather awkward the next time.

PXL_20240206_151627365.jpg

Here are the other 3 frags in my observation tank. Not sure where they will head next. I'll need to find them homes one way or another.

PXL_20240205_162443980.jpg
Yes, the GSP easily peels off the acrylic sheet.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I missed something...
Since you have the GSP on isolated rocks, when it starts moving across the sand, why not just lift the rock out and trim back the GSP that's hanging over (before it makes its way to your main rocks)?

OP
OP
rhitee93

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I missed something...
Since you have the GSP on isolated rocks, when it starts moving across the sand, why not just lift the rock out and trim back the GSP that's hanging over (before it makes its way to your main rocks)?
You aren't missing anything, I am. That is what I was trying to ask about in the original post. I just wasn't sure what would happen if I kept cutting off the leading edge.

It seems to me that the oldest bit of the colony has to die off at some point and I'm not familiar enough with how the GSP propagates to understand what it would look like after a year or two of trimming.

Not to worry, it will have covered my new rock soon enough :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back