Does ICH remain in your tank?

chrissohk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I had ICH a couple months in my tank where one fish died. I left the rest of my fish (3 bangle cardinals, six line wrasse) in the tank as they did not show any symptoms and were eating perfectly fine and are still alive at the moment. I am looking to add new fish but am just wondering if the ICH will still be prevalent within the tank even if my current fish are perfectly fine?\

Thanks in advance.

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya. Most people keep Ich tanks fallow for like 60-70 days to clear it out in its entirety with how the lifecycle works.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I had ICH a couple months in my tank where one fish died. I left the rest of my fish (3 bangle cardinals, six line wrasse) in the tank as they did not show any symptoms and were eating perfectly fine and are still alive at the moment. I am looking to add new fish but am just wondering if the ICH will still be prevalent within the tank even if my current fish are perfectly fine?\

Thanks in advance.
With known infected DT with ick, without removing the hosts for fallow, some could survive IMM.
What’s the risk? No way to tell accurately.
Your current fish may be strong and in a sense, immune, but that doesn’t necessarily apply to new comers.
If it would be practical to remove the fish, then you can always move forward and if an outbreak occurs, then pull them all and treat.

Last edited:

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To get the ICH out of the tank, the tank has to go fishless (fallow) for a period of time....
How long depends on several factors including things like salinity and temperature. To be safe, most people will recommend 76 days of fallow to get rid of ICH, but some people have found success with shorter fallow periods also.

CR_Smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain with getting ich in the tank, I'm currently going through a fallow period myself. Losing 3 fish was my "springboard" to setup a quarantine tank, treat the fish, and let the main tank go fallow. Humble fish has a website and youtube channel with some good info about parasite and disease management.

KomsCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did fishless for 45 days and ich was back on my fish the day after putting them in. IF you can resist it, Id just go 90 days to be extremely safe. Not worth trying to take shortcuts

Jordan92595

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did fishless for 45 days and ich was back on my fish the day after putting them in. IF you can resist it, Id just go 90 days to be extremely safe. Not worth trying to take shortcuts
Ich lives in all fish it just takes something to bring it out. Certain fish are more prone to it but in every fishes gills beholds some ich lol

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich lives in all fish it just takes something to bring it out. Certain fish are more prone to it but in every fishes gills beholds some ich lol
Not true. Ich is a parasite with a known life cycle. They drop off fish and turn into tomonts (eggs) and then predate back to the fish.

We need to treat our fish for long term success. I believe that some fish that are hardy can do well in an ich management tank, but for those with sensitive fish (tangs, angels) we need to quarantine everything.

KomsCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my hippo tang was the only one to get it. 2 wrasse and 2 clowns were fine. Put them all in Qt for a month and no more ich after treatment but it still lingered in my tank unfortunately

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICH been known to lurk under your bed if you don't sweep under there every so often
I first read it as “sandbed” and I started to get defensive…but then I saw it said by Zoa What so I reread the message and you guessed it…another sarcastic post. :p

My favorite thread was when you said “HELP ONE GRAIN OF SAND SHIFTED; WHAT DO I DO??!!” That was really really funny!

Spizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had ICH in my tank & it killed quite a few fish. I used polyp lab medic for 21 days & it cleared my tank. I thought it was gone, but about 7/8 weeks later my tank had ICH again!
So, I did another 21 days & it cleared again. Since then I have run polyp lab medic for 10 days every 4 weeks & I've never had an issue since doing this

habutti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks in advance.
Is MEDIC by Polyp Labs no longer an option? In the past it worked like a charm for me and have not had an issue for the past 3.5 years. Take a look at it…just saying

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Reef Revolution Parasite remover. I believe it’s similar to Polyp Lab Medic but RR is an Aussie brand.

I have a pair of wild caught percula clowns that had what looked like Brooklynella and white spot (I honestly don’t know) and they were going downhill pretty fast. I tried fresh water dips amd peroxide dips that did not save them. I was pretty convinced they were screwed and probably had a day or two before death. I ordered the RR Parasite Remover (arrived next day) and on day two of dosing they looked 80% better. I continued to dose for a month and a month later they spawned and laid eggs. It’s been a few months now and they look amazing and continue to regularly spawn.

They were never removed from my reef tank the entire duration of the treatment and one bottle only cost me $45 and was enough to dose my 180gal system for a month. I double dosed the first 20 days too.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks in advance.

I've always had ich in my systems for as long as I can remember. All my fish are healthy. I have really only had ich show itself the several times I have tried tangs over the years. Besides that I had a royal gramma for around 4 or 5 years and then randomly catch it and die. I just choose to live it

OP
OP
C

chrissohk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not true. Ich is a parasite with a known life cycle. They drop off fish and turn into tomonts (eggs) and then predate back to the fish.

We need to treat our fish for long term success. I believe that some fish that are hardy can do well in an ich management tank, but for those with sensitive fish (tangs, angels) we need to quarantine everything.
what if the sensitive fish comes from an already established tank, will it still need to quarintine?

OP
OP
C

chrissohk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Reef Revolution Parasite remover. I believe it’s similar to Polyp Lab Medic but RR is an Aussie brand.

I have a pair of wild caught percula clowns that had what looked like Brooklynella and white spot (I honestly don’t know) and they were going downhill pretty fast. I tried fresh water dips amd peroxide dips that did not save them. I was pretty convinced they were screwed and probably had a day or two before death. I ordered the RR Parasite Remover (arrived next day) and on day two of dosing they looked 80% better. I continued to dose for a month and a month later they spawned and laid eggs. It’s been a few months now and they look amazing and continue to regularly spawn.

They were never removed from my reef tank the entire duration of the treatment and one bottle only cost me $45 and was enough to dose my 180gal system for a month. I double dosed the first 20 days too.
is it reef safe?

OP
OP
C

chrissohk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not sure only way of eradicating ich was through a fallow tank from what I heard before, but never heard of any medication used.
Is MEDIC by Polyp Labs no longer an option? In the past it worked like a charm for me and have not had an issue for the past 3.5 years. Take a look at it…just saying

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich is in your tank and you want it there. Don't try to remove it as it is keeping your remaining fish immune.
Ich has been hiding in my tank since the 70s and I want it like that.
Just feed food with living bacteria in it and nothing dried.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what if the sensitive fish comes from an already established tank, will it still need to quarintine?
It depends on the route you want to take.

If you already QT every fish and you are sure you don’t have any ich in your tank, then you would QT the sensitive fish from the established tank. Why? Because fish can develop immunity to ich and hide symptoms even though they carry some ich on them.

But if a stressful event happens it will infect that immune fish.

Basically, immune fish can be carriers of ich but that fish can asymptomatic.

Back