Does lava rock turn into live rock after a while?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Macenzi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Macenzi

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 24, 2014
Messages
67
Reaction score
0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As it states in title! I want to create my own I have a system up and running with live rock in it
 
I would not use lava rock...... I did this when I first started in the hobby about 16 years ago. Most hardy fish were fine with it. Any inverts quickly died. :(
 
Don't use Lava Rock, theres no telling whats in it.
 
So it cannot turn into live?

All rock can turn into live rock. It's just a matter of the beneficial bacteria growing on the rock, but i'd stick to what everyone is saying and avoid using it.
 
True answer, yes it can become live, but what leaks out of them will more than likey kill a bunch of stuff that you try to grow.
 
It can, but there are all kinds of elements in it you don't want (like heavy metals, sulfur, all kinds of things).
 
I live in Hawaii and all my live rock is lava rock I have not seen any adverse effects.
But I wouldn't go out and just taken rocks out of a lava field make sure its been in ocean for a while where it's covered in Coraline
 
I live in Hawaii and all my live rock is lava rock I have not seen any adverse effects.
But I wouldn't go out and just taken rocks out of a lava field make sure its been in ocean for a while where it's covered in Coraline

+1 and most the black sand people use in there tanks is acually lava from hawaii
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new