Does Micromussa turn orange?

legalreefer1

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 21, 2024
Messages
25
Reaction score
8
Location
Pearland
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen that rainbow acans sometimes turn orange/red—especially when wild caught.

Does anyone know if this happens to the holy grail micromussa too?
 
I’ve seen that rainbow acans sometimes turn orange/red—especially when wild caught.

Does anyone know if this happens to the holy grail micromussa too?
No, they do not. These have been grown in captivity for a very long time and maintain their colors. Definitely worth it in my opinion!
 
Remember that what we call "acans" in the hobby are Micromussa.

From what I can tell from photos of captive-grown colonies, Micromussa amakusensis don't seem to lose coloration, although the only captive-grown colonies I can find are of the holy grail Micromussa.

Don't quote me on this, but my theory is that M. lordhowensis turns red/orange in captivity due to being a subtropical Australian endemic, since the sunlight there is not as intense/has a different spectrum.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 6.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 6.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new