Does my biocube 29 need a heater?

EJReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Biocube 29 that consistently stays around 79 degrees without a heater, do I really need one? I think that most of the heat is probably coming from the pump, sense I don't have the light on right now because I'm still cycling.
Thanks for any input.

OP
OP
E

EJReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the room temperature does stay the same the whole year, so I think it will work. I think that I will have a back-up heater that I will keep out of the tank for emergency situations. Thanks for the input.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There seems to be a cold climate bias in Reefing. Living in Phoenix almost no tank with a closed lid needs a heater. My 75 gallon tank says at 82 with no heater year round.

Whenever I here of people with inside Temps of 72 I just laugh as I have to beg my wife to keep the room at 78. If she had her way it would be 80 or higher to save money.

I generally find that reef tanks run just a little warmer than the ambient temperature because pumps and equipment produce some heat. If your house stays at a consistent 75-78 then you likely won't need a heater or chiller.

OP
OP
E

EJReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, this is not my only tank that doesn't need a heater to have a good temp. I first found out that I didn't need a heater when a year ago or so when of my heaters broke, heated the tank to almost 100 degrees, and killed one of my favorite fish. When I took the heater out, my tank stayed at around 78 degrees and I just never replaced the heater.

Back