Does my Clown have Swim Bladder Issues?

Shy519

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My male ocellaris has noticeably been laying down in beds of algae (I currently have an algae issue). He will come out and swim about but he uses his pectoral fins more than he used to. He eats and does his little dance with his lady and just seems fine other than not being able to swim well. We have a Saddleback clown in another tank who is believed to also have a swim bladder issue. What causes this? The ocellaris was fine until about two days ago. Is there something that fixes it or prevents it?
20190518_180440.jpg
20190518_180510.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fish with a swimbladder issue will struggle to stay in the lower water column. It makes them overly buoyant, typically. A fish with this issue wouldn’t be able to “lay” on anything, as a result. It would keep floating to the top.

Any other symptoms? Perhaps it’s just trying to host the algae, as odd as that may sound? A video of the behavior may help.

OP
OP
Shy519

Shy519

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fish with a swimbladder issue will struggle to stay in the lower water column. It makes them overly buoyant, typically. A fish with this issue wouldn’t be able to “lay” on anything, as a result. It would keep floating to the top.
Any other symptoms? Perhaps it’s just trying to host the algae, as odd as that may sound? A video of the behavior may help.

Unfortunately there is no anemone in this tank yet. He does a "flying" motion with his fins as if he were a bird and would rather do that than use his tail. He does this and becomes exhausted easily and tends to lay down in algae to rest. Usually when he's resting he falls on his side as if he were dead.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed any white-stringy poop from any of the fish in the tank?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back