Does noise or sound frequency affect tank inhabitants?

Barks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
stop what your doing and put your ear to the tank glass....
if you have a few wavemakers going it’s quite surprising.
fish communicate with sound at different frequencies, they are also alerted to danger by different frequencies.
what are your thoughts about all the noise in our tanks?

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a thing called habituation in nature. Like birds on the side of the highway not flying off when a vehicle passes them. I think once the fish get used to the sounds, they don't hear it as much. Now, getting used to living in a glass box may be a whole 'nother thing.

johnston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes that works I used it on my exwife
There is a thing called habituation in nature. Like birds on the side of the highway not flying off when a vehicle passes them. I think once the fish get used to the sounds, they don't hear it as much. Now, getting used to living in a glass box may be a whole 'nother thing.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean like windmill noise causes cancer?

OP
OP
Barks

Barks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean like windmill noise causes cancer?
Not sure about that, I thought it was phone masts, I’ve got 5 wavemakers doing there own thing and with my ear on the glass it sounds crazy, if I was in there it would drive me insane.

Joseph Disalvo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got off my couch to put my ear to my 120g... it’s the sound of a Nuclear power plant.. god bless My fish for not carpet surfing to escape this madness haha

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They definitely react to new sounds. My fish at home will know if something strange is around. They ignore pumps, dog, kids now, but at first really got startled.
Now my traveling tank has to go through a lot and I make sure to make it as stress free as possible. However, the noise and bumping of the table by kids startles the fish. After about an hour most fish ignore it or dart at big movements. When I get them back home, they all come out and are happy.
So, I do think they are affected by our outside noise. I just think they get used to it over time.

Admann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I still have to stop people from tapping on the glass, the fish really hate that. I think impulse noise would probably be more disturbing to the fish.

dportero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve wondered the same thing. Especially after I watched a documentary about how boat noises affect clownfish behavior. I’ve always wanted to k ow if the loud pumps in our tanks affect them, but I’ve had no way of testing it.

Howlnsound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, not only can my fish hear and react to noise, but they can tell time too!
They know the schedule of my AFS better than I, and always start to hang out where it drops starting about 5 min before hand then when it triggers, before a pellet drops, they hear the motor stop everything, rush over to the drop zone, and go bananas!
When it’s done, everyone goes back to doing their own thing all around the tank like nothing happened.
Next cycle, they do it all over again.

They all beg and stare as well at the corner of the glass when I start to make food for them at night on my fish table across from the tank as well.

I love this hobby!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back