Does polyp extension = healthy sps?

alexytman

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 5, 2017
Messages
303
Reaction score
109
What state or country do you live in
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just wondering if polyp extension means good health other does it mean I don't have enough flow or light. I've kept lps and softies up until now and bought some Montis and acros as small frags. I got a good deal for them as a group and the Aussie acros seems it's been encrusting on the flag already, so they we definitely now fresh cut frags. They have huge flowers and was wondering if it's a good thing.
 
Yes. Good color, polyp extension, and growth are all signs the coral is healthy.
 
I look for growth first, then color, and lastly PE. Typically a healthy coral will have good PE, but at times unhealthy pieces can have lots of PE as well.
 
I agree that polyp extension alone is not going to be a good indicator of coral health when looked at by itself.
 
I look for growth first, then color, and lastly PE. Typically a healthy coral will have good PE, but at times unhealthy pieces can have lots of PE as well.
I'll look at it maybe a month or two later and see if growth is changing. But for color, is turning fluorescent green a good thing? Originally it was more purple. Also I noticed of I keep it at a even higher flow the polyps retract, since people say flow is good. Should I up my flow?
 
I'll look at it maybe a month or two later and see if growth is changing. But for color, is turning fluorescent green a good thing? Originally it was more purple. Also I noticed of I keep it at a even higher flow the polyps retract, since people say flow is good. Should I up my flow?

Share a pic of the specimen if you can. Sometimes they can have two or more colors, especially as the grow. Your light spectrum can play a role in this as well.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new