Does Red Sea salt have all the necessary trace elements

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My NSW major elements (ca,mag,alk) are really low for the levels I maintain my tank at. I’m wondering if this means that the trace elements will also be low.

I think I’m set on making the switch to Red Sea Coral Pro. It has the exact levels I maintain my tank at, but can I be confident it has the trace elements my corals need to thrive?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my dilemma. I want to switch to Red Sea reef coral pro because it matches my exact parameters that I keep and it’s very consistent (I’ve heard). I only plan to do 15% water change once a month to replenish elements, but my tank is heavily stocked with stony corals and clams.

I dose Red Sea trace colors….is this enough for my tank’s health? Will my animals struggle without a more frequent water change schedule for trace elements?

I am only doing water changes for trace elements to be honest. If there was a product that had all the trace elements, I probably would be a water change once every 1.5-2 months.

I test and maintain cal, alk, mag. I dose the trace colors without testing or monitoring as well as occasionally strontium.

Also dose BRS reef chili and Red Sea AB+.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my dilemma. I want to switch to Red Sea reef coral pro because it matches my exact parameters that I keep and it’s very consistent (I’ve heard). I only plan to do 15% water change once a month to replenish elements, but my tank is heavily stocked with stony corals and clams.

I dose Red Sea trace colors….is this enough for my tank’s health? Will my animals struggle without a more frequent water change schedule for trace elements?

I am only doing water changes for trace elements to be honest. If there was a product that had all the trace elements, I probably would be a water change once every 1.5-2 months.

I test and maintain cal, alk, mag. I dose the trace colors without testing or monitoring as well as occasionally strontium.

Also dose BRS reef chili and Red Sea AB+.

Water changes are not a big source of rapidly depleting trace elements, but it is a good way to keep the more slowly depleting ions in check. Ions such as manganese and iron likely cannot be maintained by water change, but ions such as zinc or potassium (FWIW, not a trace element) may be.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back