does Seachem Cupramine Copper work with hanna high range checker

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does Seachem Cupramine Copper work with hanna high range checker

It did for me - I ran a test and got a 0.50 ppm reading on a sample of seawater that I had added a full dose of Cupramine to.

The high range Hanna checker does NOT work on ionic copper/citric acid formulations that are dosed at around 0.20 ppm

Jay

LoriC05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been treating my 125 g tank for inch. I put full dose of Cupramine in and 48hrs later another half dose. My copper level only reads 0.07 ppm with Hannah checker. I've lost my goat fish, and my puffer looks bad. Also have an eel that flips out time every time I add cupramine.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been treating my 125 g tank for inch. I put full dose of Cupramine in and 48hrs later another half dose. My copper level only reads 0.07 ppm with Hannah checker. I've lost my goat fish, and my puffer looks bad. Also have an eel that flips out time every time I add cupramine.
Im sure someone more qualified than me will answer but rock and substrate will absorb copper that's why your readings are so low. It's always best not to use copper in a display and ecspecially if it's a reef tank since it'll kill a lot of inhabitants.

LoriC05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not super experienced. I don't have a reef tank. It is is fish only. Lots of live rock. I don't have a quarantine tank. I have a professional that comes every 2 weeks to help me learn, but he is out of the country right now.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Something is really wrong there. If your tank has lots of calcareous rock and sand in it, that may account for the copper being pulled out faster than you are adding it. However, there could be an issue with your dosing calculations, the way you are testing, or I suppose, even with the quality of the Cupramine you are using (unlikely).

Eels don't appreciate copper, they often go off feed, but it rarely, if ever kills them outright if the treatment is done correctly,

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would hanna make a checker not compatible with a popular treatment?

Hanna is not primarily an aquarium test kit company. They do not develop their products with a given treatment in mind. They are just employing an adaptation of the USDA bicinchoninate reagent method.

Jay

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back