Does skimmer pump power degrade overtime?

yepreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason i ask is that i have reef octopus skimmer running for 3 years and sometimes the pump wont run until i clean it or pull the skimmer up to the surface of water. Any ideas?

ReefWeeds

Artist, Coral Hoarder and Proud Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you take it apart and clean it or just let it run in a vinegar bath? All pumps will “go” at some point so it could be near end of life. However, I had a similar problem with a pump and when I took it apart to clean it, I found a piece of a snail shell inside that was causing it to hang up occasionally.

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you should ask that. I have the 5000 int. Had it for 6-7 years. Was unplugged and out of water for couple months. Plugged back in and water coming out was very weak. Bubbles wouldn’t even reach the level marked on skimmer head. Took apart pump and cleaned it. Still weak. Soaked in vinegar. Still weak. Wasn’t sure what the problem was. Only thing it could be was the pump. Ordered a new one. On its way

OP
OP
yepreef

yepreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i took it apart and seems there was nothing stuck that stop the impeller. I guess it may near the end of life like u said.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also make sure the venturi is cleaned and has no deposits. I know with mine, I get "stalactite" precipitates forming in the venturi. Where the air line meets the water in the venturi.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason i ask is that i have reef octopus skimmer running for 3 years and sometimes the pump wont run until i clean it or pull the skimmer up to the surface of water. Any ideas?

I had a similar problem. Check the impeller. 3 years is a while; you may find the impeller worn (grooves in the shaft). Purchased a new impeller. Problem solved.

OP
OP
yepreef

yepreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also make sure the venturi is cleaned and has no deposits. I know with mine, I get "stalactite" precipitates forming in the venturi. Where the air line meets the water in the venturi.

interesting, i will need to double check on that.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back