Does tempature affect kalkwasser in a ATO?

  • Thread starter Thread starter goodtimes
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 20, 2012
Messages
1,560
Reaction score
1,015
Location
Northern Ohio
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my 5 gallon ato located in my garage. It's convenient and out of sight so it works this way. I have decided to start using kalk in my ato. My concern is in the winter my ato water tempature gets as low as almost freezing. Will this affect the chemistry of the kalk?
 
Add a heater to it :)


Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.

I can do that, but I would rather not if I don't have to. With the small increments it adds at a time I don't think it will affect display tank temp. If I do add a heater it raises another question. Can a heater safely sit in the kalk sludge at the bottom of the container?
 
Last edited:
Any other opinions on whether or not the temp of kalk affects its performance.
 
Does the water get pumped directly into the DT or sump? Sorry I can't help with the affects of temp on Kalk.
Most heaters come with some sort of suction attachment so it wouldn't have to sit on the bottom ;)


Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new