Does this aquascape "FLOAT" your boat?

Do you like the look of a floating aquascape?

• YES

Votes: 317 52.4%
  • NO

Votes: 203 33.6%
  • Not Sure (I'll lool at the thread)

Votes: 76 12.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 1.5%

• Total voters

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks very good . However not exactly for me . Especially if you have fish with your reef not exactly a natural habitat. For most the fish I like and keep.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have to say for me, it does "float my boat!" I love a good floating aquascape. The problem is that the look is not easily achieved especially on a larger scale. Well a true floating aquascape anyway. But what about for you? Let's talk about it today!

1. Do you like the look of a floating aquascape?

2. Would you ever consider setting up a new tank with a floating aquascape?

image via coral_fish_zoa on IG
88246799_120214456217814_5432712473307275250_n.jpg

That's an awesome tank. I think it would be awesome floating or not.

Roscovitch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those saying its not natural or this doesn't happen in nature have never dived near a drop-off because that's pretty much exactly what it looks like. Negative space is everywhere on reefs: even on really shallow atolls you get tons off fanning out of coral. As for this particular one: Scolymia and most all cnidarians (apart from the Jellies) stick to crevices and rocks and are very seldom sitting on the sand bed or for that matter facing disk up. So again: if we can create anything within the confines of a glass box this is pretty close. I personally love it. Great use of very limited space and stocked with care and attention. It's a 10 from me.

badonkadonk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have mentioned reminds me of a drop off, like around Palau - though the species are much different (branching species, sea fans predominate ime). But nothing wrong with creating living art this way, I like it.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently snorkled gulf reef and seen something almost identical to this. A near 2' diameter brain coral (which is rare itself considering they are dieing fast in gulf reef) growing off ledge that dropped off few feet to deeper pool.
Only problem i have with this particular reef is its not shrooms growing all over it haha
On a real note it totally makes sense to me. Ive kept shallow fishless systems and there's only one way to do it in my eyes. Make it work as smart and efficient as possible for itself. Choice of coral is perfect for what is taking place here.
10 for Art and Engineering haha

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have to say for me, it does "float my boat!" I love a good floating aquascape. The problem is that the look is not easily achieved especially on a larger scale. Well a true floating aquascape anyway. But what about for you? Let's talk about it today!

yes I love it. It looks like a real reef. Only problem is I am an anxious person and would be worried of my corals getting to big and heavy, and either fall off or make the rock fall off ;Facepalm

gary henkel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do not understand why everyone says this doesn’t look natural. Aren’t any of you divers. Outcroppings like this occur all the time on reefs. This creates the illusion that the bulk of the reef fades into the dark abyss. I for one think this is fabulous. And I’m currently building a paladarium and we routinely glue stuff to the back wall that project forward. Bravo to whoever did this. I wish I had room to do one just like it!

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like the idea, but do not enjoy them visually. Probably better flow and potentially more swimming space for the fish? God forbid a crab falls out of it's floating kingdom. Oh no! Whenever I see one, I feel like I am looking at island in the sky in a fairy tale, or something like that. It's not that any of our reefs are perfect replicas of what actually happens in nature, but with this style of floating reef, there is something that really visually disconnects from that vision of a slice of ocean, for me.

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some people just want to be different don't they :eek:

Not good that!

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that is what a floating aquascpe looks like the picture shown is awesome but it is not my cup of tea I enjoy the best replication of a natural environment with as many non invasive small species of worms,snails, starfish and little brittle stars the population of each seems to limit itself and my coral do well

thincat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It looks like a display and not a reef!

freshy&salty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally like the look. I can picture the edge of a reef.
If the floor were covered in corals also it would have that look of a reef encroaching a cave or hole which i think would be awesome.
I also like the way the light bouncing off the sand kinda highlights the bottom.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back