Does this aquascape "FLOAT" your boat?

Do you like the look of a floating aquascape?

• YES

Votes: 317 52.4%
  • NO

Votes: 203 33.6%
  • Not Sure (I'll lool at the thread)

Votes: 76 12.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 1.5%

• Total voters

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the people saying it’s not like that nature are completely missing the point and also keeping coral in a glass box is not the way Nature does it either so how about you just don’t have a tank then if you’re going to think like that

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
What is this?? Floating City of Asgard!!!

Beautiful creative piece. I believe this would only work in nano aquariums the best.

As far as big aquariums I don't think this will look or feel good.

Calizoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it…I think it would look better if it was a drop off tank that way it would look more like a natural overhang than just a floating scape
I agree a ledge drop next to this would be a microphone drop

clffthmps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks really cool but that’s not a risk I’m willing to take. Problem #1 how is it attached.#2 is it attached to the glass. If so now you’re a Putting pressure on one piece of glass in the back. As corals grow it will put more Weight/pressure on the glass. I think we’re more concerned about our tanks looking cool instead of realizing that we have an ecosystem that we have built.I think we are blessed that we can enjoy reef tanks in our homes. It’s really sad that a lot of vendors tell you have to have this to be successful.No you don’t you have to revert back to keep it simple. I have a 75 gallon tank,With no sump or no refug.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 58

blue-thumb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that this scape is brilliant. As a diver, this reminds me of a wall dive or an overhang. How did you achieve this illusion? The coral is so densely packed? Do you have problems with coral-coral aggression?

REPOWER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice and fine work of living art for sure! Love the look but prefer to see a scape that touches the the sand like a typical ledge you see in shallow reefs. Just got back from Hanauma Bay and saw similar formation in the far right of the bay.

Imagine the black background as part of the reef and pretend you are looking at the overhang portion of the formation works as well! :)

Hefromabove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a neat novelty, but that's all it is to me. Once the novelty wears off I'd be disappointed in myself for wasting all that room underneath. Sorry but it's a hard pass from me.

Whispers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this a center for ants ???? Lol
Can someone explain how to do this I would love a cube with a floating reef

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the floating scape doesn’t look as natural as rock on the sand bed. It takes away from growing room on top the rock. Can’t really grow coral in the shade under the rock. Loss of of real estate and doesn’t look natural.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it! I don't care for the scolys but depending on the viewing angle you choose to take when diving, this is absolutely as natural a looking reef as any other tank here. I have seen overhangs like this plenty of times. Obviously on a larger scale though.

For those that have been in the water enough you know there is no such thing as a rock formation you could build in a tank that you could not find in nature on either a larger or smaller scale.

Some of my favorites are the rocks about the size of a computer that have been hollowed out in different angles by 10 or 20 rock boring urchins. Plenty of small floating ledges there.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think it's kind of a cool idea. I wouldn't personally do it, but just because with my luck it'd fall and crash and I'd lose everything including all my fish that were sleeping under it at the time of disaster.

I do think it's kind of funny all these naturalist comments: you don't see that in nature like that, why would I want it in my tank?

How many of us have a true biotope? We combine different corals from different zones and countries, we add color morphs not found in the wild, we put fish in from different parts of the ocean, and we leave certain fish out that would naturally be found in the area our other livestock is from because we want peace and tranquility.

I say, do your tank how you want. It's there to make you happy, no one else.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, it is stunning, no doubt. But rocks don't float in nature without support. For my eyes it NEEDS either a leg or the back wall encrusted to really look like an overhang. If the back wall was encrusted with coralline and other life forms it would really work for my eyes.

But as a floating fantasy Avatar inspired tank it crushed it.

Dude64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have to say for me, it does "float my boat!" I love a good floating aquascape. The problem is that the look is not easily achieved especially on a larger scale. Well a true floating aquascape anyway. But what about for you? Let's talk about it today!

1. Do you like the look of a floating aquascape?

2. Would you ever consider setting up a new tank with a floating aquascape?

image via coral_fish_zoa on IG
88246799_120214456217814_5432712473307275250_n.jpg
yeah , I'm on board with Baboda... If there was a couple of "posts" underneath it I could see it as a bridge of inverts but as nice (and amazingly complex) as it is it is just 'different' ... which isn't an all bad thing.

M Stein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the amount of open sand this give you.
Having a more open sandbed is just more ascetically pleasing to my eye.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have to say for me, it does "float my boat!" I love a good floating aquascape. The problem is that the look is not easily achieved especially on a larger scale. Well a true floating aquascape anyway. But what about for you? Let's talk about it today!

1. Do you like the look of a floating aquascape?

2. Would you ever consider setting up a new tank with a floating aquascape?

image via coral_fish_zoa on IG
88246799_120214456217814_5432712473307275250_n.jpg

That gives me intense anxiety

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a True floating scape - impressive to look at but not practical!. corals get heavy and would put too much on strain on support. A overhang and arch works better for me.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back