Does this happen to YOU..............if so, why does it happen??????

  • Thread starter Thread starter Snookin
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Snookin

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 9, 2011
Messages
795
Reaction score
800
Location
Tampa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When ever you turn off your return pumps and protein skimmers to replace some filter socks............then with new filter socks.........your protein skimmer goes crazy with foam and microbubbles galore for a few minutes.
 
I have seen it with brand new never used or washed socks. Not sure why it is but I always wash new socks before I use them just because you never know what could be on them from manufacturing
 
My tanks been running about a year and I haven't washed either of my socks.

When dirty, I rinse/scrub in very hot water, the let air dry.

Not sure if I'm supposed to wash with soap or not, but I don't have foam problems
 
I wash my in the washing machine with bleach then run them through again with just water.Then I let them totally dry, then soak them in ro/di water for a day, then totally dry them again.Then back in the tank.My skimmer usually goes crazy for about 2-3 hours then calms back down.
 
I think its the leftover manufacterer gunk or whatever on the new filter sock that causes it to foam crazy.

I get this also if i am using significant amounts of superglue and 2 part epoxy in my tank.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 15 20.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 21 28.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new