Does this look like Brooklynella?

radav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening everyone. This is a fairly terrible picture I've been trying for over an hour and it keeps swimming away. I'll keep trying but I wanted to see if anyone had an opinion on what they think is going on. I've had the fish a year. All of the fish I own I've paid a premium to to get quarantined. I've had one mystery death of a male anthia that just stopped eating. I did one of those pcr tests to see if I showed any signs of disease and nothing showed up and everyone has been fat and happy ever since.

So two days ago the hooded flame wrasse you see in the picture looked like it was missing a scale. I thought okay I'll keep an eye on it and it looked better yesterday so I thought okay fine maybe it bumped into something etc. now I come home today and it's skin has these whitish patches that look sort of raised and it's tail fin is frayed and near the base of the tail it is whitish and a small piece of skin is hanging off. Any thoughts? I have two clownfish, three anthias, a yellow tang, a pair of flame angels, a brunneus wrasse, orange back wrasse, and a blue streak cleaner wrasse that I would love to see make it through this.

20231213_181517.jpg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tail fin is damaged it's probably aggression which leads to stress and compromised immune system so may be bacteria infection on the body developing.

OP
OP
radav88

radav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tail fin is damaged it's probably aggression which leads to stress and compromised immune system so may be bacteria infection on the body developing.

Well, this seems more likely than a random brook outbreak with no introduction of new fish. I haven't noticed aggressive behavior between anyone for a very long time, this is so frustrating.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this seems more likely than a random brook outbreak with no introduction of new fish. I haven't noticed aggressive behavior between anyone for a very long time, this is so frustrating.
Sometimes fish get meaner and more territorial with age. Angry old guys I suppose.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Good evening everyone. This is a fairly terrible picture I've been trying for over an hour and it keeps swimming away. I'll keep trying but I wanted to see if anyone had an opinion on what they think is going on. I've had the fish a year. All of the fish I own I've paid a premium to to get quarantined. I've had one mystery death of a male anthia that just stopped eating. I did one of those pcr tests to see if I showed any signs of disease and nothing showed up and everyone has been fat and happy ever since.

So two days ago the hooded flame wrasse you see in the picture looked like it was missing a scale. I thought okay I'll keep an eye on it and it looked better yesterday so I thought okay fine maybe it bumped into something etc. now I come home today and it's skin has these whitish patches that look sort of raised and it's tail fin is frayed and near the base of the tail it is whitish and a small piece of skin is hanging off. Any thoughts? I have two clownfish, three anthias, a yellow tang, a pair of flame angels, a brunneus wrasse, orange back wrasse, and a blue streak cleaner wrasse that I would love to see make it through this.

20231213_181517.jpg
Location and raised scales notate either injury or even possible uronema. Any bullying you have seen?
Additionally, bare-bottom not ideal for this fish which requires a sand substrate.

OP
OP
radav88

radav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location and raised scales notate either injury or even possible uronema. Any bullying you have seen?
Additionally, bare-bottom not ideal for this fish which requires a sand substrate.

So the bullying I haven't noticed. I'm really not sure who the culprit could be. The only aggressive behavior I've noticed is the male anthias against the females. Sometimes I've noticed fish getting sort of caught in the crossfire as he divebombs a female but I haven't noticed any sort behavior that could lead to this level of damage. Uronema seems pretty unlikely given the lack of new introductions.

Otherwise I can't believe I never knew this fish needed a sand bed. I feel like total idiot. It's a cirrhilabrus and everything I had read said they were the fairies that didn't need a sand bed.

OP
OP
radav88

radav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be advisable to give food medicated with antibiotics while I attempt to move it to a qt tank? It was eating earlier but it's being very shy about me so I'm just wondering if that would be advisable. I thought I had remembered reading wrasses can be sensitive to antibiotics but it appears maybe it was treating with copper that is the issue.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be advisable to give food medicated with antibiotics while I attempt to move it to a qt tank? It was eating earlier but it's being very shy about me so I'm just wondering if that would be advisable. I thought I had remembered reading wrasses can be sensitive to antibiotics but it appears maybe it was treating with copper that is the issue.

That wrasse would be fine in coppersafe or copper power, it is the other forms on ionic copper that cause them issues.

Oral antibiotics are difficult to do properly. They also don't work well for external bacterial infections. Here is an article I wrote about that:

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back