Help me ID this disease

ReefNurd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I rescued a small Pink Tailed Trigger 8 days ago from a pretty bad LFS and it came with some external disease. At first I thought it might be velvet but now Im wondering if it could be Brooklynella?
He's been in a quarantine tank for 8 days with a Naso and Anthias. I gave them all a fresh water bath to start and couldn't see any signs of Flukes and then they've been in Copper at about 2.2 ppm changed out three times so far ( every 72 hours ). All fish are doing fine and feeding well with no signs of heavy breathing or digestive issues.
The Trigger is the only one that shows the skin condition and he is scraping on surfaces periodically and swimming into the oxygenation bubbles.
Got a pretty good photo today when I did another changeout and gave him a second 3 min freshwater dip.
So since they are all still doing fine and feeding well but the skin condition is not improving Im guessing its not velvet but perhaps Brook?

Any ideas?

IMG_9284.JPG

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I rescued a small Pink Tailed Trigger 8 days ago from a pretty bad LFS and it came with some external disease. At first I thought it might be velvet but now Im wondering if it could be Brooklynella?
He's been in a quarantine tank for 8 days with a Naso and Anthias. I gave them all a fresh water bath to start and couldn't see any signs of Flukes and then they've been in Copper at about 2.2 ppm changed out three times so far ( every 72 hours ). All fish are doing fine and feeding well with no signs of heavy breathing or digestive issues.
The Trigger is the only one that shows the skin condition and he is scraping on surfaces periodically and swimming into the oxygenation bubbles.
Got a pretty good photo today when I did another changeout and gave him a second 3 min freshwater dip.
So since they are all still doing fine and feeding well but the skin condition is not improving Im guessing its not velvet but perhaps Brook?

Any ideas?

IMG_9284.JPG
Is the trigger eating?
Is the trigger breathing fast? That is the more symptom of velvet.
You say you’ve “changed the copper out three times” can you explain what that means?

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Any ideas?

IMG_9284.JPG
These guys rarely of ever contract brook and while it may be ich, its hard or near impossible to assess a fish out of water.
Is fish breathing normal or rapid?
Regarding copper .. . . Is it copper (cupramine) or coppersafe you are using?
Which ever you are using, both are applied for a FULL 30 and not to be changed out during this 30 day period. There is what is known as a treatment clock and you break it every time you change it out. There is also a therapuetic level for each type being ionic and chelated form.

OP
OP
R

ReefNurd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the trigger eating?
Is the trigger breathing fast? That is the more symptom of velvet.
You say you’ve “changed the copper out three times” can you explain what that means?

Jay
Hi Jay,

No the breathing is normal and he is eating very well with no outward signs of distress just the occasional scratching I mentioned.

Im trying tank transfer with a mixed barrel of salt water with Coppersafe @ 2.2. per Marine Collectors / BRS recommendations. Transferring fish from one 20Gal QT to a fresh 20Gal QT within 72 hours to clear Ammonia buildup and free swimming threonts.

Didn't look like Ick to me as no large white spots but it can't be velvet 9 days later with no breathing problem and the other two fish in QT tank look healthy and normal.

Given he's eating well perhaps its Ick that I haven't broken cycle of yet but normally I see progress reducing Ick after first 2-3 water changes..

But Im not sure what else it could be..

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

ReefNurd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys rarely of ever contract brook and while it may be ich, its hard or near impossible to assess a fish out of water.
Is fish breathing normal or rapid?
Regarding copper .. . . Is it copper (cupramine) or coppersafe you are using?
Which ever you are using, both are applied for a FULL 30 and not to be changed out during this 30 day period. There is what is known as a treatment clock and you break it every time you change it out. There is also a therapuetic level for each type being ionic and chelated form.
Hey thanks for your response.

Fish is breathing and eating normally. The fish has not been out of water. Photo was taken during a 3 min freshwater dip.

Im using Copperasafe at 2.2. measured with Hanna Digital. Only transferring the fish from one 20 gal QT tank of the copper safe to another of identical mixed salt and copper every 3 days to clear any ammonia build up and free swimming threons as my QT is basic with AirStone and Heater.

If I left fish in same QT tank without established Bio filtration the ammonia build up would no doubt kill first. didn't want to use rock as I know that can absorb copper.

Im going by the tank transfer copper method recommended by MarineCollectors on the recent BRS Video.

So Im confused why changing out water to the same mixed water with Copper at same level every 72 hours would reset the clock. Im looking for 14 days in copper once I see no sign of any infection per MarineCollectors suggestion.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey thanks for your response.

Fish is breathing and eating normally. The fish has not been out of water. Photo was taken during a 3 min freshwater dip.

Im using Copperasafe at 2.2. measured with Hanna Digital. Only transferring the fish from one 20 gal QT tank of the copper safe to another of identical mixed salt and copper every 3 days to clear any ammonia build up and free swimming threons as my QT is basic with AirStone and Heater.

If I left fish in same QT tank without established Bio filtration the ammonia build up would no doubt kill first. didn't want to use rock as I know that can absorb copper.

Im going by the tank transfer copper method recommended by MarineCollectors on the recent BRS Video.

So Im confused why changing out water to the same mixed water with Copper at same level every 72 hours would reset the clock. Im looking for 14 days in copper once I see no sign of any infection per MarineCollectors suggestion.
You want to leave the treatment water at a constant. Water changes are warranted when ammonia becomes elevated but mixing water to same copper level helps and you can bump to 2.5 as 2.2 is closer to minimum dosage that makes copper most effective

OP
OP
R

ReefNurd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to leave the treatment water at a constant. Water changes are warranted when ammonia becomes elevated but mixing water to same copper level helps and you can bump to 2.5 as 2.2 is closer to minimum dosage that makes copper most effective
Yeah I would have done 2.5 but also have an Anthias in there and know they are sensitive to higher copper levels so went with 2.2. for first two weeks.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yeah I would have done 2.5 but also have an Anthias in there and know they are sensitive to higher copper levels so went with 2.2. for first two weeks.
Agree.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back