Does this look like ich kr just bubbles?

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved my fish from one tank to the other because it’s original tank was not doing well and I was planning on shutting it down anyways. My fish has these bubble like spots around it’s mouth, do you think this is ich or just bubbles? I have already placed him into a different tank. Will that tank be immediately infected with ich now? I have a bunch of corals and inverts and I don’t want them to be affected if it is ich.
Here’s an image

26DF1A42-81B0-4C65-8EA9-C132B2377C0A.jpeg 204CC0C1-CEEE-4661-A975-9BF58037F4FD.jpeg C9301788-DB6C-49B7-8BFE-6DD7956ABDC6.jpeg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Leon,
It's kinda hard to see much with the blue lights on. But the fins look a bit tattered too. Can you take another pic with just the white lights on?

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll definitely want others to chime in to be sure, but that does look a bit like ich to me. Would be better if you could get pictures under white lights as well.

As for infection, I suggest reading Humblefish's various write ups, but I believe in the TTM post they say Ich takes 70 something hours from the time of dropping off the fish to become infectious, so hypothetically if you removed all the critters from that tank before then it might be alright.

That being said, corals and inverts cannot be infected by ich, so it poses no threat to them. However, ich CAN encyst on hard corals and inverts, so while it won't harm them, it can be transferred between tanks by hitchhiking on them.

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Leon,
It's kinda hard to see much with the blue lights on. But the fins look a bit tattered too. Can you take another pic with just the white lights on?
Yeah his fins were like that when I first bought him. Here are some better pictures. Do you think if I take him out that ich would have already spread within the tank? He’s been in the tank for only half an hour.

A9570901-0849-40CB-A13E-DB1A58CFCA29.jpeg 448C8490-72C6-4C56-ACBE-D518C63BC09A.jpeg D2EE5DF0-7D07-4CEC-8B1B-6FE2847AD3E4.jpeg

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll definitely want others to chime in to be sure, but that does look a bit like ich to me. Would be better if you could get pictures under white lights as well.

As for infection, I suggest reading Humblefish's various write ups, but I believe in the TTM post they say Ich takes 70 something hours from the time of dropping off the fish to become infectious, so hypothetically if you removed all the critters from that tank before then it might be alright.

That being said, corals and inverts cannot be infected by ich, so it poses no threat to them. However, ich CAN encyst on hard corals and inverts, so while it won't harm them, it can be transferred between tanks by hitchhiking on them.
Okay thank you very much. I have two more long fin clown fish in this tank where I just placed him and a few other fish and I do not want to have them all be infected. I might take him out today and hopefully donate him to my lfs

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but all it takes is one parasite to drop off to infect the tank. You could remove the fish to a QT and then introduce a black molly into the tank to see if parasites are there. Just make sure to treat the molly and give it a good home later.
Or remove all fish from the tank and let it go fallow for 76 days to starve out any parasites.

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but all it takes is one parasite to drop off to infect the tank. You could remove the fish to a QT and then introduce a black molly into the tank to see if parasites are there. Just make sure to treat the molly and give it a good home later.
Or remove all fish from the tank and let it go fallow for 76 days to starve out any parasites.

Yeah I will think about a treatment option. Do you think he does have ich based off of those new photos? I’m still not sure.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back