Does this sand-bed need maintenance?

pocillopro1

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 21, 2026
Messages
19
Reaction score
7
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed deeper spots forming bc of goby, snails, flow, etc. and there appears to be red and brown algae forming on glass below sandline. Is this a concern?

I would not say it is “deep” anywhere, maybe an inch and half tops in some spots. I have 3 nasarious snails and a sand sifting goby constantly working it, but I never touch it otherwise. There’s also a conch and a sifting starfish in there somewhere but tbh I haven’t seen either in over a month—I think the conch is hibernating, no idea where the starfish is 😵

Anyway, general advice on sandbed maintenance welcome—preferably an info on an approach that doesn’t involve me ever disturbing it. Thanks!

20260907_185042_590B66AE-23CA-4D27-8426-A2F8BC62D7E3.png
 
I’ve noticed deeper spots forming bc of goby, snails, flow, etc. and there appears to be red and brown algae forming on glass below sandline. Is this a concern?

I would not say it is “deep” anywhere, maybe an inch and half tops in some spots. I have 3 nasarious snails and a sand sifting goby constantly working it, but I never touch it otherwise. There’s also a conch and a sifting starfish in there somewhere but tbh I haven’t seen either in over a month—I think the conch is hibernating, no idea where the starfish is 😵

Anyway, general advice on sandbed maintenance welcome—preferably an info on an approach that doesn’t involve me ever disturbing it. Thanks!

20260907_185042_590B66AE-23CA-4D27-8426-A2F8BC62D7E3.png
If I were you, I wouldn't touch it. I prefer to just let things be, afterall, that's how it is in nature! I guess you could change it if it starts affecting your corals/other livestock negatively.
 
I can’t see the color too well but if it’s green you should be fine. The algae is likely only growing due to its proximity to the glass’s channeled ambient light.

Sometimes anaerobic pockets can lead to H2S gas which could crash your tank (though, algae = oxygen present) but I don’t really know too much about that. I saw a post about deep sand beds and how they *could* cause such issues but take all this with a grain of salt.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new