Does this test prove that my rocks are leaching phosphate?

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I took this Caribsea Liferock dry rock from my tank and put it in this bucket of rodi water. The rodi water had .03 phosphates. I let the rock sit in the bucket for 2 days. The water had .07 phosphates after 2 days. I checked using a Hanna checker.
20220817_231938.jpg
20220819_135628.jpg

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like there's plenty of life on your rocks... which needs saltwater to live. If you took it out and put it in RODI water, you would have killed a lot of it, which would cause a spike in Phosphates. If you want to test if your rocks are leeching, you'd have to keep the tested water at temp and salinity level that would not cause die off.

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Right. I was wondering if maybe in my display tank where there's a lot more rock if it's leaching a lot more. Also someone had said that dry rock does not leach so I wanted to prove/disprove that statement.

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've been living phosphate hell for the past 3 months. Just took a reading and it's .28. Nitrate at 9. I am not overfeeding. I actually haven't fed in 4 days to see if food is the source. Rocks and sand is the only thing that I can think of.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right. I was wondering if maybe in my display tank where there's a lot more rock if it's leaching a lot more. Also someone had said that dry rock does not leach so I wanted to prove/disprove that statement.

Assuming it had reached equilibrium with the new water, putting in all of the rock to the same water would not have raised it much more.

Rock with phosphate does not add a fixed amount, it raises the concentration to a fixed equilibrium concentration.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been living phosphate hell for the past 3 months. Just took a reading and it's .28. Nitrate at 9. I am not overfeeding. I actually haven't fed in 4 days to see if food is the source. Rocks and sand is the only thing that I can think of.
Just use GFO. It works incredibly well for phosphates.

I would never stop feeding.

New tanks usually have high phosphates from the dry rocks/sand. Once you remove the phosphates, almost all future phosphates will come from food. But it won’t raise it by the amount you’re seeing in such a short time.

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have used just about everything. Gfo, rowaphos, lanthanum, nopox, elimi phos, np pro. I just bought an algae reactor to try next

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Brs deluxe reactor. I can get phosphate to come down to around.07 but it'll shoot back up to over .2 the next day before feeding time. That's why I'm guessing all this phosphate is coming from my rocks. I've lost corals and nems.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brs deluxe reactor. I can get phosphate to come down to around.07 but it'll shoot back up to over .2 the next day before feeding time. That's why I'm guessing all this phosphate is coming from my rocks. I've lost corals and nems.
That’s normal. The rocks definitely are bound with phosphates. Use half as much and change the GFO more often (when the water on the output starts climbing). That will work.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 70 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back