Does your tank get fresh air and does it need it?

Do you think a reef tank benefits from fresh air?

• Yes a lot

Votes: 539 65.0%
  • Yes but very little

Votes: 130 15.7%
  • No

Votes: 21 2.5%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 133 16.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 0.7%

• Total voters

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a CO2 scrubber (recirculating) on one tank and outside air on the other. I do see a significant increase in Alk uptake as my PH rises. So not sure how important "fresh air" is as my CO2 scrubber isn't providing fresh air, but I do think running a higher PH is beneficial.

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks with the windows closed will run 7.8-8.0 (via Apex) Windows open 8.1-8.4 . But since this is Minnesota windows are usually closed 8 months per year. We do have a whole house air exchanger and that helps but I also added CO2 scrubbers to both and with windows closed Ph runs 8.1 - 8.3 daily.

How much do you run your air exchanger? I also live in Minnesota and run an air exchanger. I get 8.1-8.4 on my apex year round. I run mine about 70% per hour, our house is only 2 years old and it will get really stuffy in here without running it often.

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran my skimmer line outside on two different tanks now and saw a great boost in PH.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much do you run your air exchanger? I also live in Minnesota and run an air exchanger. I get 8.1-8.4 on my apex year round. I run mine about 70% per hour, our house is only 2 years old and it will get really stuffy in here without running it often.

Ours is a Venmar Air Exchanger and we run it from Sept thru May and it's by relative humidity & outside temps. Our home is 12 years old, fairly tight (yes without it would get very stuffy) With windows closed and air exchanger off both tanks run 7.8-8.0 When on it improves to 8.0 to maybe 8.2. I added the scrubbers and both tanks are running 8.1-8.3 average.

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure it would if I lived somewhere where I could open windows.

I did get a CO2 scrubber for my new tank, so looking forward to that. Recirculating kinda scares me because of the chance that water would get inside and nuke the tank.

Zeedawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pull in fresh air via skimmer since that is where there is a large gas exchange. Seems to help help the pH stay stable naturally....

h2so4hurts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pull in fresh air via skimmer since that is where there is a large gas exchange. Seems to help help the pH stay stable naturally....
I run an external line connected to a scrubber and struggle to hit 8.2. If I open a window it's at 8.3-8.4 in a few hours. There's a lot of gas exchange going on at your water surface too.

Space Coyote

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it helps growth but at what cost.
What a waste of CO2 media for the environment. It does work tho.
Plus adding an outside vent = guaranteed new unexpected issues.Temps/fertilizer/bug sprays/etc.
Fluctuations are worse than lowish PH.
Is it worth it just for growth? Maybe if you are a seller.
But for us, more growth is sometimes more pruning/fighting/death.
I stopped chasing everything but the basic stuff. Nature is happy with stability.
Tank is growing fine and more importantly everything living and happy. Patient works. All the many many mistakes and things I’ve sadly killed over the years was from playing god too much.

MattW33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is enclosed in a cabinet with condensation plates to reduce evap into the hood. Windows don't get opened much in the winter either. However, the sump cabinet is swept with air from the room, which is replaced via a heat exchanger. Turnover is roughly the whole room in 24 h. Never had an issue with pH, typically sits at 8.2 ish, even with 2 people, a baby and a large dog in the house. I've always had it setup this way so don't know if it would drop without the air sweep, but I assume it would. Also does wonders for humidity, can't stand condensation on the windows, drives me mad o_O

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank and sump is on my balcony, I live in the tropics and definitely don't worry about my pH dropping, fresh air is abundant. Even if the tank was indoors I wouldn't worry as doors and windows are open all year round, thankfully a problem I don't have to deal with. However I was born and raised in the UK, if I was back there right now I would definitely consider how to bring in fresh air.

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have evaporative cooling in my home so the air is being cycled quite a bit during the warmer months, and we usually go 4 months with just the windows open because the heater or ac aren't needed. I do have my skimmer line ran out to a window in my home.

I have never really tracked my pH, mostly because I don't have cool gadgets like an apex haha.... maybe in the future I will finally fold and buy one to make everything so much easier, but for now, I enjoy the struggle.... and I enjoy watching my sons struggle with becoming more intimate with the tank!

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a co2 scrubber on my tank and it does make a difference. For a 40g, the Co2 media isn’t that expensive.

Uncle Bob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using CO2 removing media is expensive over time, so I just ran a flexible tube from Protein skimmer inlet to outside. Raised my pH from 7.8 to 8.2

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Fresh air FTW.

About .2-.3 difference in pH between window open here and there and closed for a few days. The tank is in the basement so I open the small window whenever it is not too hot due to cost of running A/C. In winter months, I open the window for short while as we like the cooler house anyway and I dont mind the small heat loss.

That said, I've already run 3/4 line for the new tank' skimmer. Why pay for CO scrubber and have additional maintenance if the air outside is free.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, do you have it connected to your HVAC system or just have the vent and return near the tank? I'm still on the fence about buying one.

It's connected to our HVAC. If we turn it off during "closed windows months" you can tell within hours. (We have a long haired German Shepherd)

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally important. I can see it in Fusion. PH will go up the minute the window near the tank gets opened. I usually sit around 8.0 to 8.1, but if the window is open 8.3 to 8.4 currently. Its lower this week, as my daughter is here visiting, so more Co2 being put in the air, but tanks 2 months from coral anyways, just starting to develop a trend to see if ill need a Recirculating C02 Scrubber or not.
Are you being serious when you say that your daughter is visiting so your CO2 is higher!? Lol
I really doubt your tanks CO2 is any higher with jusg one person unless you guys are living in a cardboard box! Lol

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back